Jun 12, 2014, 2:46 PM EDT
Arizona has claimed catcher/infielder Jordan Pacheco off waivers after he was designated for assignment by Colorado last week.
Pacheco was an everyday player for the Rockies in 2012, playing mostly third base and first base while hitting .309 with five homers and a .762 OPS in 132 games. That looks good, but an empty .300 batting average with a mid-.700s OPS is actually below average for someone calling Coors Field home and Pacheco has hit just .238 with a .601 OPS since then.
This year he was playing mostly catcher for the Rockies, backing up Wilin Rosario, and his defensive versatility gives Pacheco some value as a bench player even if his bat isn’t good enough to play regularly.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 55
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 5
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (76)