Jun 12, 2014, 2:46 PM EST
Arizona has claimed catcher/infielder Jordan Pacheco off waivers after he was designated for assignment by Colorado last week.
Pacheco was an everyday player for the Rockies in 2012, playing mostly third base and first base while hitting .309 with five homers and a .762 OPS in 132 games. That looks good, but an empty .300 batting average with a mid-.700s OPS is actually below average for someone calling Coors Field home and Pacheco has hit just .238 with a .601 OPS since then.
This year he was playing mostly catcher for the Rockies, backing up Wilin Rosario, and his defensive versatility gives Pacheco some value as a bench player even if his bat isn’t good enough to play regularly.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 14
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 142
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 25
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 38
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (142)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)