Jun 12, 2014, 3:28 PM EDT
Nick Swisher is back from the disabled list and in the Indians’ lineup for tonight’s game after missing the past two weeks with a hyperextended left knee. To make room on the roster for his return Jason Giambi is headed to the disabled list with left knee inflammation.
Swisher was struggling before the injury, hitting just .211 with three homers and a .631 OPS in 49 games as the Indians’ starting first baseman. His return could mean less playing time for Carlos Santana, because he had been playing first basem recently and hot-hitting Lonnie Chisenhall certainly isn’t going to lose starts at third base anytime soon.
Giambi is basically a player-coach at this point, logging a grand total of 52 plate appearances between disabled list stints. He hit .128 in that limited action after batting .182 for the Indians last season, but they apparently just love having him around.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 0
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 31
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 55
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 23
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 140
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 135
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (140)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (136)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)