Jun 12, 2014, 3:28 PM EST
Nick Swisher is back from the disabled list and in the Indians’ lineup for tonight’s game after missing the past two weeks with a hyperextended left knee. To make room on the roster for his return Jason Giambi is headed to the disabled list with left knee inflammation.
Swisher was struggling before the injury, hitting just .211 with three homers and a .631 OPS in 49 games as the Indians’ starting first baseman. His return could mean less playing time for Carlos Santana, because he had been playing first basem recently and hot-hitting Lonnie Chisenhall certainly isn’t going to lose starts at third base anytime soon.
Giambi is basically a player-coach at this point, logging a grand total of 52 plate appearances between disabled list stints. He hit .128 in that limited action after batting .182 for the Indians last season, but they apparently just love having him around.
- Blue Jays acquire Josh Donaldson in a trade with the Athletics 40
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 164
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (164)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)