Jun 12, 2014, 11:52 PM EDT
UPDATE: Well, this is a relief. According to Brian McTaggart of MLB.com, Astros manager Bo Porter said that X-rays came back negative and that Altuve is considered day-to-day.
10:56 p.m. ET: Troubling development for the Astros, as Julia Morales of CSNHouston.com passes along word that second baseman Jose Altuve exited tonight’s game against the Diamondbacks in the bottom of the seventh inning after he was hit in the right hand/wrist area while squaring to bunt.
Altuve appeared to be in a lot of pain as he walked off the field with team trainers. No word yet on his status, but Astros fans will have to hope that he didn’t suffer the same fate as Diamondbacks outfielder A.J. Pollock, who fractured his right hand on a similar play on May 31 and is expected to be sidelined through the end of July.
Altuve returned to the lineup tonight after missing yesterday with a minor injury to his left oblique. The 24-year-old is hitting .319 through 67 games this season and leads the majors with 90 hits. He ranks first in the American League with 24 stolen bases.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 24
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 45
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 25
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 50
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)