Jun 12, 2014, 11:52 PM EDT
UPDATE: Well, this is a relief. According to Brian McTaggart of MLB.com, Astros manager Bo Porter said that X-rays came back negative and that Altuve is considered day-to-day.
10:56 p.m. ET: Troubling development for the Astros, as Julia Morales of CSNHouston.com passes along word that second baseman Jose Altuve exited tonight’s game against the Diamondbacks in the bottom of the seventh inning after he was hit in the right hand/wrist area while squaring to bunt.
Altuve appeared to be in a lot of pain as he walked off the field with team trainers. No word yet on his status, but Astros fans will have to hope that he didn’t suffer the same fate as Diamondbacks outfielder A.J. Pollock, who fractured his right hand on a similar play on May 31 and is expected to be sidelined through the end of July.
Altuve returned to the lineup tonight after missing yesterday with a minor injury to his left oblique. The 24-year-old is hitting .319 through 67 games this season and leads the majors with 90 hits. He ranks first in the American League with 24 stolen bases.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)