Jun 12, 2014, 11:52 PM EST
UPDATE: Well, this is a relief. According to Brian McTaggart of MLB.com, Astros manager Bo Porter said that X-rays came back negative and that Altuve is considered day-to-day.
10:56 p.m. ET: Troubling development for the Astros, as Julia Morales of CSNHouston.com passes along word that second baseman Jose Altuve exited tonight’s game against the Diamondbacks in the bottom of the seventh inning after he was hit in the right hand/wrist area while squaring to bunt.
Altuve appeared to be in a lot of pain as he walked off the field with team trainers. No word yet on his status, but Astros fans will have to hope that he didn’t suffer the same fate as Diamondbacks outfielder A.J. Pollock, who fractured his right hand on a similar play on May 31 and is expected to be sidelined through the end of July.
Altuve returned to the lineup tonight after missing yesterday with a minor injury to his left oblique. The 24-year-old is hitting .319 through 67 games this season and leads the majors with 90 hits. He ranks first in the American League with 24 stolen bases.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 163
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (163)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)