Jun 12, 2014, 11:11 AM EST
Justin Verlander turned in another rough outing last night, allowing seven runs in 5.2 innings against the White Sox. And nearly all of the damage came in the sixth inning, following five innings of one-run ball to begin the game.
There’s no shame in serving up a homer to Jose Abreu, but Verlander also walked four batters and allowed eight hits while falling to 6-6 with a 4.61 ERA on the season. And that’s after posting a 2.48 ERA in April.
In his last six starts Verlander has allowed 35 runs in 37.2 innings, posting an ugly 7.41 ERA and .312 opponents’ batting average while managing a sub par 24/18 K/BB ratio. He’s yielded six homers in those six starts after allowing a grand total of 19 homers in 34 starts last year and an average of 18 homers per 34 starts for his entire career.
In other words he’s a mess right now, although last night at least Verlander averaged 95.8 miles per hour on his fastball, topping out at 99.0 mph, so velocity-wise there were no issues. His next start comes Monday against the Royals, who rank 12th among AL teams in runs and dead last in homers and slugging percentage. So if Verlander struggles again versus Kansas City … woof.
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 11
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 44
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (93)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)