Jun 12, 2014, 12:51 PM EDT
Jesus Montero has been a bust for the Mariners since they acquired him as a top prospect from the Yankees for Michael Pineda, but he’s hit reasonably well at Triple-A this season and now he’s on his way back to the majors.
Bob Dutton of the Tacoma News Tribune reports that the Mariners are expected to call up Montero to provide reinforcements to a lineup that just lost Justin Smoak and Michael Saunders to the disabled list and was already without Corey Hart.
Here’s the thing, though: Montero hitting .270 with eight homers and an .800 OPS in 59 games at Triple-A looks pretty solid on the surface, but in the hitter-friendly Pacific Coast League an .800 OPS is nothing special. In fact, the PCL as a whole has a .765 OPS this season. He might help, but that probably says more about the Mariners’ other options than about Montero at this point.
Sep 19, 2014, 4:31 PM EDT
Basically, we want everyone in the NL to finish with 88 wins.
Sep 19, 2014, 4:19 PM EDT
Konerko has hit just .220 with five homers and a .616 OPS in 74 games.
Sep 19, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
What do you get the man who has everything? A bronzed version of the stuff he already has!
Sep 19, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT
He has two years remaining on a three-year, $26 million contract.
Sep 19, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
Because if Clayton Kershaw needs anything, he needs a bunch of run support.
Sep 19, 2014, 2:48 PM EDT
Kevin Gauzman has been fantastic for the Orioles, posting a 3.57 ERA with just five homers allowed in 18 starts as a 23-year-old rookie.
Sep 19, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
If you have to haze, at least get some coffee out of the deal.
Sep 19, 2014, 2:14 PM EDT
After homering seven times in his first 19 games Cubs rookie Javier Baez has gone deep just twice in his last 24 games while hitting .146 with 44 strikeouts.
Sep 19, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
Baseball is making a more formal commitment to oversight in international talent development.
Sep 19, 2014, 1:47 PM EDT
449 feet off Addison Reed.
Sep 19, 2014, 1:15 PM EDT
As usual, context is everything.
Sep 19, 2014, 1:05 PM EDT
Just some casual perusing of epic collapses.
Sep 19, 2014, 12:38 PM EDT
This is the biggest series for the Royals since 1985.
Sep 19, 2014, 12:16 PM EDT
It’s not as scary as what our friend Alex had to endure, here, but it’s still pretty cool.
Sep 19, 2014, 11:32 AM EDT
Come for the cool video. Stay for a way-too-long explanation of why I hate Rush. And the inevitable comments from Rush fans about why I’m wrong about this.
Sep 19, 2014, 10:34 AM EDT
Imagine being a person so awful and sour that you feel this is something reasonable to say.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:16 AM EDT
After a good night last night he’s 12 for his last 30.
Sep 19, 2014, 8:53 AM EDT
That’s right: for the 2,559th time, Barry Bonds is gonna walk.
Sep 19, 2014, 8:27 AM EDT
I’m an old man who goes to bed early, so I couldn’t see all of this. If you’re like me, enjoy.
Sep 19, 2014, 7:17 AM EDT
It’s not dark yet for the Brewers, but it’s getting there. It’s absolutely pitch black for the A’s, though.
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 58
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 74
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 68
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 99
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (99)
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (91)
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (89)