Jun 12, 2014, 3:45 PM EDT
Two weeks ago the Phillies demoted Darin Ruf to Triple-A and he won’t be back in Philadelphia anytime soon, as Ryan Lawrence of the Philadelphia Daily News reports that the 27-year-old first baseman/outfielder has a broken bone in his left wrist.
The injury stems from a collision with the outfield wall on June 2, but the initial diagnosis did not find any fractures. Apparently a follow-up exam saw something different, so now Ruf is out for … well, actually the Phillies haven’t given an official recovery timetable yet. Lawrence speculates that Ruf will be sidelined for at least a month and that’s just until he can get back into the Triple-A lineup.
Ruf has hit well in the majors, smacking 18 homers with an .830 OPS in 92 games for the Phillies, but with Ryan Howard entrenched at first base there isn’t much room for him unless they want to take a big hit defensively. He’s too good offensively to deserve being stuck at Triple-A, but for now that’s a moot point.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 0
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 6
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 24
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (114)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)