Jun 12, 2014, 6:15 PM EST
Red Sox shortstop Stephen Drew is out of the lineup for the fourth straight game tonight after he aggravated his right oblique injury during batting practice on Wednesday. According to Tim Britton of the Providence Journal, Drew could be sent for an MRI tomorrow if he’s still dealing with discomfort.
“He’s frustrated by it,” manager John Farrell said. “At the same time, we can’t risk any longer-term situation here.”
Drew signed a one-year, $10 million contract with the Red Sox late last month and played seven tune-up games in the minors before making his season debut last Monday. The 31-year-old was showing signs of rust prior to the oblique injury, going just 1-for-14 with five strikeouts. These type of injuries are notoriously tricky, so it wouldn’t be surprising if a trip to the disabled list is next.
Jonathan Herrera has been filling in at shortstop this week, but he hasn’t done much at the plate. It will be interesting to see if Xander Bogaerts slides back over to shortstop if Drew’s injury requires a lengthy absence, as it would give the Red Sox another way to get Brock Holt into the lineup. With Shane Victorino set to begin a minor league rehab assignment on Saturday, they could use the extra flexibility.
Dec 17, 2014, 2:51 PM EST
Sticking together after seven seasons.
Dec 17, 2014, 2:31 PM EST
The pitcher denies there were issues. But now he’s off to Boston, so I guess it doesn’t matter.
Dec 17, 2014, 2:01 PM EST
Wil Myers’ replacement in Tampa Bay?
Dec 17, 2014, 12:53 PM EST
And if it blows up, it could impact the Jimmy Rollins trade too.
Dec 17, 2014, 12:30 PM EST
The Sox are getting themselves a handy reliever.
Dec 17, 2014, 12:12 PM EST
Seattle is looking for right-handed bats.
Dec 17, 2014, 11:53 AM EST
Right team, even if he picked the wrong position.
Dec 17, 2014, 11:15 AM EST
They’re getting lots of calls on him, though.
Dec 17, 2014, 11:10 AM EST
It appears as though it’ll only be a two-team trade, with Myers heading to San Diego.
Dec 17, 2014, 10:03 AM EST
Which could have some baseball implications
Dec 17, 2014, 9:46 AM EST
But he could start the home opener
No, it’s not crazy to pay a free agent for what you think he’ll do in the future. That’s the bleedin’ point.
Dec 17, 2014, 9:00 AM EST
A columnist takes a strange approach to criticizing the Brandon McCarthy contract. And his reasoning for doing so is pretty clear.
Dec 17, 2014, 8:40 AM EST
Seems like a bad idea. And that’s even if the field would even fit. Which it may not.
Dec 17, 2014, 6:56 AM EST
Tim Raines and Alan Trammell improved in the past year, apparently, returning to their 2012 quality. But some guys “just don’t look right.”
Dec 16, 2014, 11:30 PM EST
The Dodgers dumped Brian Wilson on Tuesday afternoon, choosing to eat the remaining $9.5 million on his contract. And the new front office is not done unloading expensive mistakes from the old regime.
Dec 16, 2014, 10:41 PM EST
With so many clubs seeking power this winter, Garrett Jones could fetch the Fish some legitimate talent.
Dec 16, 2014, 9:27 PM EST
C. Trent Rosecrans of the Cincinnati Enquirer reports that the Giants have agreed to terms on a minor league contract with relief pitcher Curtis Partch.
Dec 16, 2014, 8:15 PM EST
From MASN’s Roch Kubatko comes word that the Orioles have agreed to terms on a one-year free agent contract with reliever Wesley Wright.
Dec 16, 2014, 7:23 PM EST
Confirmation here from FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal …
Dec 16, 2014, 6:19 PM EST
Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times reported last week that the Rays had received calls from “about a half-dozen teams” regarding the availability of young outfielder Wil Myers. And it appears the Tampa Bay front office was paying attention to those calls …
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 33
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 86
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Dodgers cut Brian Wilson and his $9.5 million salary 53
- Royals and Alex Rios agree to one-year, $11 million contract 16
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. 95
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (105)
- Jon Lester goes to Cubs for $155 million over six years (99)