Jun 12, 2014, 8:10 PM EDT
Interesting note here from Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald, as Marlins top prospect left-hander Andrew Heaney was a healthy scratch from his start tonight with Triple-A New Orleans. No, it’s not for a call-up, but rather because the Marlins want to make sure he’s still available if they are still in contention in September.
“We decided a few weeks ago we were going to skip a start here and there (with Heaney),” said Marty Scott, the Marlins’ vice president of player development. “This is the first of several. We’ll probably do this again in July and one more time in August.”
“This way, we don’t have to worry about shutting him down in September,” Scott said. “If we don’t let him skip a couple of starts and rest up and guard these innings, we’d have to shut him down in September, and that’s something we don’t want to do. We don’t want to have to shut him down in the middle of a pennant race.”
Heaney, selected No. 9 overall in 2012, was limited to just 95 1/3 innings last season between High-A and Double-A due to a lat strain. The Marlins expect to shut him down after 160-170 innings this season. The 23-year-old has already thrown 76 2/3 innings between Double-A and Triple-A this season while posting an excellent 2.47 ERA to go along with 79 strikeouts and 15 walks. His recent promotion to Triple-A hasn’t phased him, so look for him to reach the majors soon.
Don’t laugh about the thought of the Marlins contending this season. Even though ace Jose Fernandez is done for the season after Tommy John surgery, Miami owns a surprising 34-31 record and currently holds one of the Wild Card spots in the National League. This year, it feels like anything is possible.
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 25
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 15
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 35
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 62
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 106
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 20
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (106)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)