Jun 12, 2014, 8:10 PM EDT
Interesting note here from Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald, as Marlins top prospect left-hander Andrew Heaney was a healthy scratch from his start tonight with Triple-A New Orleans. No, it’s not for a call-up, but rather because the Marlins want to make sure he’s still available if they are still in contention in September.
“We decided a few weeks ago we were going to skip a start here and there (with Heaney),” said Marty Scott, the Marlins’ vice president of player development. “This is the first of several. We’ll probably do this again in July and one more time in August.”
“This way, we don’t have to worry about shutting him down in September,” Scott said. “If we don’t let him skip a couple of starts and rest up and guard these innings, we’d have to shut him down in September, and that’s something we don’t want to do. We don’t want to have to shut him down in the middle of a pennant race.”
Heaney, selected No. 9 overall in 2012, was limited to just 95 1/3 innings last season between High-A and Double-A due to a lat strain. The Marlins expect to shut him down after 160-170 innings this season. The 23-year-old has already thrown 76 2/3 innings between Double-A and Triple-A this season while posting an excellent 2.47 ERA to go along with 79 strikeouts and 15 walks. His recent promotion to Triple-A hasn’t phased him, so look for him to reach the majors soon.
Don’t laugh about the thought of the Marlins contending this season. Even though ace Jose Fernandez is done for the season after Tommy John surgery, Miami owns a surprising 34-31 record and currently holds one of the Wild Card spots in the National League. This year, it feels like anything is possible.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 45
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 121
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 86
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (202)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (123)