Jun 12, 2014, 8:10 PM EST
Interesting note here from Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald, as Marlins top prospect left-hander Andrew Heaney was a healthy scratch from his start tonight with Triple-A New Orleans. No, it’s not for a call-up, but rather because the Marlins want to make sure he’s still available if they are still in contention in September.
“We decided a few weeks ago we were going to skip a start here and there (with Heaney),” said Marty Scott, the Marlins’ vice president of player development. “This is the first of several. We’ll probably do this again in July and one more time in August.”
“This way, we don’t have to worry about shutting him down in September,” Scott said. “If we don’t let him skip a couple of starts and rest up and guard these innings, we’d have to shut him down in September, and that’s something we don’t want to do. We don’t want to have to shut him down in the middle of a pennant race.”
Heaney, selected No. 9 overall in 2012, was limited to just 95 1/3 innings last season between High-A and Double-A due to a lat strain. The Marlins expect to shut him down after 160-170 innings this season. The 23-year-old has already thrown 76 2/3 innings between Double-A and Triple-A this season while posting an excellent 2.47 ERA to go along with 79 strikeouts and 15 walks. His recent promotion to Triple-A hasn’t phased him, so look for him to reach the majors soon.
Don’t laugh about the thought of the Marlins contending this season. Even though ace Jose Fernandez is done for the season after Tommy John surgery, Miami owns a surprising 34-31 record and currently holds one of the Wild Card spots in the National League. This year, it feels like anything is possible.
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical 120
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 19
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 213
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 25
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (215)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)