And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights

Jun 13, 2014, 6:47 AM EDT

Puig Out AP

Reds 4, Dodgers 1: Like I said yesterday, I took the kids to this one. And we dressed up in Dodgers gear because why the heck not. And because we were pretending to be big Dodgers fans for the day — maybe the kids were more than pretending; hard to say — we rooted for Yasiel Puig. Then that one inning came in which he hit into a fielder’s choice causing one out and then got caught stealing (by a mile) in a strike-em-out-throw-em-out double play, requiring me to explain to my children how sometimes even the best players around can do dumbass stuff like cause, directly or indirectly, all three outs in an inning and, boy, isn’t baseball tough sometimes? It was all good, though, because their shallow rooting for the Dodgers easily allowed for them to be excited and thrilled by Aroldis Chapman pumping 102 m.p.h. fastballs in the ninth inning. So all in all a good day at the old ballpark. Except for the Dodgers, who looked pretty listless and seemed to have an eye on the clock and their minds on the plane out of Cincinnati.

Giants 7, Nationals 1: The Giants avoid the sweep thanks to Tim Hudson continuing to be awesome. Seven innings and only one unearned run allowed, which lowered Hudson’s ERA to 1.81 on the year. Between his time with the Braves and the Giants, Hudson has beat the Nationals 17 times in 30 starts. No one has beat the Nats that many times.

Rockies 10, Braves 3: My real rooting interest fared worse than my temporary/fake rooting interest. Jhoulys Chacin pitched seven scoreless innings and the Rockies had an 8-3 lead when things got chippy because, for some reason, David Carpenter of the Braves apparently thought that Corey Dickerson hit Braves catcher Gerald Laird with his bat on the backswing on purpose. He said he didn’t, but he plunked the next batter with a pitch, which caused Carpenter to get ejected and which caused Walt Weiss to come out and argue and get ejected himself. And which then caused a Rockies pitcher to plunk a Braves batter later, causing him and the Rockies acting manager tossed too. I think Walt Weiss said it best:

“If you think a guy can foul a ball off and then at the same time hit the catcher on the backswing on purpose, you got no clue,” Weiss said. “They made their decision. They made a bad choice.”

Not the first time the Braves overreacted to something and then put on their police hats.

Phillies 7, Padres 3: Pinch-hitter Reid Brignac hit a tiebreaking, two-run double in the sixth and spot-starting John Mayberry Jr. hit a three-run homer. And the Phillies swept. Let’s hear it for the fill-ins of the world.

Red Sox 5, Indians 2:  Jon Lester pitched 7+ decent innings and David Ortiz hit a two-run homer. The Red Sox won for the third time in ten games. Which I suppose is better than losing for the eighth time in ten.

Orioles 4, Blue Jays 2:  Kevin Gausman gave up one run over six innings and Delmon Young homered. In other news, Delmon Young is still alive and playing major league baseball. In other news, I guess Mark Buehrle is not going to win 29 games this year or whatever.

Editor’s Note: Hardball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $40,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Friday night’s MLB games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $6,000. Starts at 7:05pm ET on FridayHere’s the FanDuel link.

Tigers 4, White Sox 0: With Justin Verlander faltering, Max Scherzer doing things like stopping the bleeding with a three-hit shutout is gonna go a long way towards making that decision to not take the $140 million contract he was offered last spring look smart.

Brewers 5, Mets 1: Your standard four-run rally in the 13th inning. The Mets stranded seven runners between the ninth through the 11th including a bases-loaded situation. It was New York’s ninth loss in 11 games.

Yankees 6, Mariners 3: Jeter comes alive. Three hits, two RBI and two runs scored. Jacoby Ellsbury had a two-run homer. The Yankees sweep.

Pirates 4, Cubs 0: Andrew McCutchen had two doubles and two RBI. He’s 18 of 42 this month (.428), with 15 of his hits going for extra bases. Which is sort of insane.

Astros 5, Diamondbacks 4: Miguel Montero tied it at four in the top of the ninth with a homer but Chris Carter hit a walkoff homer to lead off the 10th to give it to the Astros. He homered twice on Wednesday, so that’s a good couple of days.

1. renaado - Jun 13, 2014 at 6:55 AM

Braves got trashed again… Well good news was I haven’t watched that nightmare, (gonna be late for class anyways if I continue watchin that…)

Awesome pic with your kids there Craig, bet they’re havin fun watchin Puig.

2. uyf1950 - Jun 13, 2014 at 7:00 AM

Even though all of Whitley’s outings have been for the most part in pitcher friendly parks he’s still definitely looking like a keeper when Pineda and CC return. His outing last night was excellent. The offense looked pretty good at least as good as it’s looked at any point this season and the defense was pretty darn good as well. All in all a very good game and very good series for the Yankees in Seattle.
    The Yankees look to have set their sights on the division leading Jays and now trail the Jays by 3.5 games, just 2 games in the loss column.

• Kevin S. - Jun 13, 2014 at 7:10 AM

Yep, now that Whitley seems more or less stretched out, I’d prefer him stay in the rotation and Phelps move back to the pen once all hands are on deck. I think it’s pretty clear that Phelps’ stuff plays up much better in the bullpen, and having another multi-inning relief ace out there stops Girardi from having to overuse Betances.

• Kevin S. - Jun 13, 2014 at 7:32 AM

And for the record, I doubt he’s *this* good, but if he keeps walking approximately nobody, he’s good enough to do just fine.

• Eutaw's Finest - Jun 13, 2014 at 8:21 AM

Setting sights on the Jays and ignoring the O’s right by your side, eh? Hell, the Yanks should be pulling for the O’s in our 4 game series with the Jays! By the time it’s all said and done the O’s and Yanks could be tied for 1st in the division!

• uyf1950 - Jun 13, 2014 at 8:40 AM

I’m not ignoring the O’s far from it. It’s just at this moment in time with the O’s and Yankees tied why would you set your sights on the team that is along side of you. You set your sights on the team ahead of you. Plus the Yankees have 6 games with the Jays over the course of the next 2 weeks. That’s the reason to play more attention to the Jays at this exact moment.

• nvl004 - Jun 13, 2014 at 8:46 AM

uyf1950…….sound rational logic is not appreciated on these message boards!!!

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - Jun 13, 2014 at 9:00 AM

Birds are on a bit of an uptick while the Jays are starting to cool off. Timing in life is absolutely key. I’m going to be at the game on Saturday. Let’s hope Norris stays on his hot streak and the Birds Cruz toward first place!

• groupofsevenrules - Jun 13, 2014 at 9:29 AM

You have made an interesting distinction between “Birds” and “Jays.” It’s too early to think about last night’s dud – the Jays have been flat for a week now, 5-5 over their last ten, and they just let the Os and Borg gain a game on them. I need coffee and then I can think about it on the way to work. Time to snap out of it, gentlemen.

• nbjays - Jun 13, 2014 at 12:23 PM

And most important of all, it’s still the first half of the season. Plenty of baseball left to play.

• Shayna - Jun 13, 2014 at 1:19 PM

I knew that regression to the mean would eventually appear but for everyone!? Simultaneously?? This is distressing. Still, I suppose that if they were all hot at once, it’s not that surprising that they all iced up together too.

For now, I’m just going to start watching at the top of the 2nd and assume that it’s 2-0 against us. Saves time. (Listening to the buzzsaw sputter.)

3. aresachaela - Jun 13, 2014 at 7:07 AM

Finally!! Jeter is finally knocking the door XD!

• renaado - Jun 13, 2014 at 7:11 AM

Not your door though…

• aresachaela - Jun 13, 2014 at 7:20 AM

Ohhhhhh….. someones pretty down today.

/giggle :-P

• Eutaw's Finest - Jun 13, 2014 at 8:22 AM

I read this, then heard an echo of George Takei in my head saying “Ohhhh myyyy….”

• Old Gator - Jun 13, 2014 at 9:00 AM

Did you know that a very young George Takei did some of the English voice dubbing for the American release of Rodan? Just a little tidbit to take to your next cocktail party. Stiffen your pinky with it for future use.

• bigharold - Jun 13, 2014 at 10:31 AM

Of, that is a wafer thin mere morsel of a tidbit.

• Old Gator - Jun 13, 2014 at 11:06 AM

You mean waffer thin, right? As in, “and don’t thkimp on the pah-ay.”

• nbjays - Jun 13, 2014 at 12:24 PM

“Finally!! Jeter is finally knocking the door”

But the retirement home staff are too busy with the other residents to answer the door.

4. dondada10 - Jun 13, 2014 at 7:13 AM

Terry Collins might not be long for Flushing.

• Kevin S. - Jun 13, 2014 at 7:29 AM

I don’t think the Wilpons can afford to pay double manager salaries for a year and a half.

• dondada10 - Jun 13, 2014 at 7:51 AM

What if they replace him with somebody that’s already on the payroll? Bob Geren comes to mind, but the fans would love to see Wally Backman, the AAA manager and former Met.

• Kevin S. - Jun 13, 2014 at 7:53 AM

Well, they’d still have to give Backman (or whoever) a raise and pay for his replacement.

• Old Gator - Jun 13, 2014 at 9:01 AM

Backman would be worth anything the Wilpoons would have to pay him, even if it meant going back to the Madoff trustee and reconfiguring their carve-out.

• bigharold - Jun 13, 2014 at 10:45 AM

I like Backman and believe he’s earned his opportunity to manage in the big leagues despite everything that has been written about his past. I’m not convinced that New York with all the media would be the best place.

There would be a certain cosmic symmetry to Backman returning to the Mets but he and the Mets might be better served if the hoopla was avoided and he began his MLB managerial career in San Deiago or even AZ. Besides, I doubt he’d get better or at least much better results with the current roster.

• Old Gator - Jun 13, 2014 at 11:08 AM

I would worry that playing for the dumb varmints who run the Diamondbacks would make him start drinking again.

5. philliesblow - Jun 13, 2014 at 7:38 AM

Remarkably, that was Scherzer’s first career complete game. That made Miggy’s 2 RBI infield single seem rather commonplace.

• ashot - Jun 13, 2014 at 7:49 AM

Somehow Victor having as many home runs as strikeouts (16) was only the third most rare feat for a Tiger.

6. wlschneider09 - Jun 13, 2014 at 7:47 AM

“It’s called ‘TOOTBLAN’ Mookie. See, there was this guy named Ryan Theriot….”

7. The Cub Den - Jun 13, 2014 at 7:58 AM

Did the Cubs lose? Naw, they just watched an MVP do his thing.

8. metalhead65 - Jun 13, 2014 at 8:26 AM

so happy my Reds ruined your day at the park Craig, and your bat flipping look at me hero had the game he did. the difference between him having a bad day and other great players is the other players do not call attention to themselves other than doing what they are suppose to. guys like Jeter became superstars and had fun playing the game without the bat flipping and look at me antics your boy does.

• doctorofsmuganomics - Jun 13, 2014 at 6:04 PM

Someone like you liking the reds makes me like them less

• jimeejohnson - Jun 13, 2014 at 6:37 PM

You should leave politics out of sports. Grammar, spelling, punctuation, etc., too. Sarcasm dependent on who are you, ooh hoo, hoo hoo!

• metalhead65 - Jun 13, 2014 at 7:00 PM

good we do not fans like you and if that upsets I am also a Bears fan to so hopefully that will make you not them either or the Pacers or IU sports. I am more than happy to piss of tree hugging liberals like your self anyway I can.

• doctorofsmuganomics - Jun 13, 2014 at 7:20 PM

“and if that upsets I am also a Bears fan”

Well that explains the third grade education.

• metalhead65 - Jun 13, 2014 at 8:23 PM

do you have a crush on me or something? for somebody who hates everything I say and write you sure spend allot of time reading and responding to me. hate to break it to you but I am only into women so that leaves you out.

• doctorofsmuganomics - Jun 13, 2014 at 9:16 PM

“for somebody who hates everything I say and write you sure spend allot of time reading and responding to me”

my first post to you was at 6:00, my second at 7. Uuuhhhhhhh…..

9. Eutaw's Finest - Jun 13, 2014 at 8:27 AM

Lost in the O’s game that was lost in all of the other great games yesterday…

-Nick Markakis moves ahead of Brian Roberts and into 7th on the Orioles all time hit list.
    -Kevin GASman goes 6 and allows only 1 run for the second consecutive game and has looked nothing shy of sharp as of late, pumping upper 90’s late into both outings too. Nice.
    -Delmon Young’s 2 hits against Marky Mark was no fluke- he has a career .400-something BA against Buehrle. Actually listening to the pregame yesterday they mentioned that Markakis, Jones, Young and Davis all had BA’s over .360 against Beuhrle which was surprising.
    -Manny broke his 0 fer 18 slump with a double off the scoreboard. Hopefully that gets the monkey off his back. Before he throws a bat at the monkey. And he will. Oh he will…

10. historiophiliac - Jun 13, 2014 at 8:43 AM

Max Scherzer is pitching and I don’t have anything of substance to say about the team/game/performance, so I’m just going to talk about the contract offer.

11. Old Gator - Jun 13, 2014 at 9:07 AM

The Feesh didn’t play last night. And the Heat didn’t either. Macondo awakens in shock and heads for la ventana for a shot of Cafe Islasinnombre Noventa Milas al Sur. Bad night in El Ciudad Magicorealismo. Now pardon me while I go remove my Chicharron ladrón shtick from the washer and throw it in the drier. Morning chores.

• jimeejohnson - Jun 13, 2014 at 6:51 PM

Hope you dried it thoroughly, what, with that humidity. Just kidding. How bad could the night have been if you have those recipes that you have. Like Tony Montana always said: “whatchew talkin’ about”…I always relate Miami to Scarface. Wish I could have said Hemingway but I’d be lying.

• Old Gator - Jun 13, 2014 at 8:59 PM

My recipe tonight was ginger and coriander stir fried chicken and vegetables with bitter melon over brown rice. First time I’ve tried this nice variation on an old Thai recipe. Found a new source of bitter melon, too – big, fat ones half again the size of a large cucumber. Only needed one of them for the recipe. I need to do this one more time before I’m happy with the proportions of ginger, coriander, tamarind and garlic and pass it along. Meanwhile, I’m watching the Feesh perfect the weltschmerz routine they developed in Chicago and perfected in Tejas on Wednesday.

12. goawaydog - Jun 13, 2014 at 12:06 PM

The Giants avoided the 4 game sweep, yay. Hudson gets his ERA below 2. I would rather him not make the all star game and just stay at home and sleep for 3 days but he may be our only option, Morse is a dark horse if he keeps hitting the way he is with another 3 hit game yesterday. Good to go in to a division series with some momentum too. Still no homers, maybe the Rockies bring some mile high air to the yard and we see some this weekend.

Nice road trip Nats, well done, would like to see you put the Braves in your rear view mirror.

• natstowngreg - Jun 13, 2014 at 12:42 PM

Sun rises, fish swim, Tim Hudson beats Nats. The universal balance is maintained for another day. Still, 5 of 7 on the Left Coast (10 of 13 overall) is very nice indeed.

Still lots of love for Beast Mode in Nats Town. Though they stopped playing “Take on Me” during the 7th-inning stretch. Guess the Nats aren’t the Official Major League Baseball Team of Norway anymore.

Before trying to put away the Braves (next weekend), the Nats need to deal with the Cards, in St. Louis. Having Zimmermann, Strasburg and Fister available, and pitching well lately, should help. Then, a couple against the not-on-100-loss-pace Astros.

13. gloccamorra - Jun 13, 2014 at 12:44 PM

So the Phillies are winning with fill-ins? Time to trade the regulars for prospects! Oh, wait – they swept the Padres.

• goawaydog - Jun 13, 2014 at 3:16 PM

Chase Utley would look good in Orange and Black. He can beat the Padres out here too, and more often.

14. musketmaniac - Jun 13, 2014 at 6:24 PM

Polonco single, Marte single, McCutcheon two run double. Pirate fans are looking forward for this lineup for a long time.

• jimeejohnson - Jun 13, 2014 at 6:58 PM

Gonna put French fries on my sandwich just for you. If I had cole slaw I’d put that on too. No cheesesteaks for me. Just kidding.

• jimeejohnson - Jun 13, 2014 at 6:59 PM

Make that American fries. Yeah, right.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. R. Castillo (3571)