Macklemore threw out the first pitch in Seattle (and took a selfie)

Jun 13, 2014, 10:47 AM EST

Macklemore threw out the ceremoninal first pitch before last night’s Mariners-Yankees game in Seattle and … well, a couple things:

First, he took not one but two selfies on the mound beforehand. And then he actually fired a pretty decent pitch to his catcher, Mariners ace Felix Hernandez.

For some reason MLB.com hasn’t made the video emebeddable, but if you click on the picture you can watch it:

source:

I’m not even going to say anything about his haircut, because I’m an old man and no one cares what I think about haircuts. (Note: It’s a silly haircut.)

1. proudlycanadian - Jun 13, 2014 at 11:08 AM

Who and what is Macklemore?

• thatsnuckinfuts - Jun 13, 2014 at 11:10 AM

Rap/hip hop artist from the Seattle area I believe

• proudlycanadian - Jun 13, 2014 at 11:12 AM

Thanks, I guess.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Jun 13, 2014 at 11:18 AM

Thnak you! I kept looking for his first name, then he realized he must be some music putz I never heard of.

The Google confirmed the latter for me

• thetoolsofignorance - Jun 13, 2014 at 1:09 PM

I asked the same thing. My daughter might know him since she knows every rap guy on planet earth i think. My son, who is 10 years younger than his sister, would probably know him but I can’t tell since he lives underneath a pair of headphones the size of 1/2 cabbages out of which leak the sort of noise commonly associated with running washing machines full of scrap metal. Talking to him while he is en cabbaged is impossible. This “Mackelmore” is probably one of those scrap metal types he favors.

• jm91rs - Jun 13, 2014 at 1:22 PM

Think “thrift shop”. If you have any children under 13 you’ve heard it. Don’t like his music, but what I know of the guy from the net (I usually research these people when my kid gets obsessed with an artist), he might actually be an OK dude. Seattle loves the guy.

• proudlycanadian - Jun 13, 2014 at 1:35 PM

“Seattle loves the guy”? Is he on the same pedestal as Starbucks, King Felix or a certain football team.

• Eutaw's Finest - Jun 13, 2014 at 1:55 PM

PC- Yes, but not quite on the same level as Kurt Cobain.

• facebookuser111 - Jun 13, 2014 at 6:20 PM

Starbucks? Real Seattlites hate Starbucks… phsshhs

2. thatsnuckinfuts - Jun 13, 2014 at 11:10 AM

Had to google the guy, but as far as 1st pitches go he did well

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Jun 13, 2014 at 11:20 AM

Me to. Still doesn’t ring a bell.

He looks like Brian Setzer circa Stray Cats

• thatsnuckinfuts - Jun 13, 2014 at 11:21 AM

haha that’s true

• goawaydog - Jun 13, 2014 at 12:28 PM

Setzer had better and bigger hair

3. beepbeepbeeplgb - Jun 13, 2014 at 11:11 AM

this guy: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/19/macklemore-jewish-controversy_n_5350869.html

4. thetxhammer - Jun 13, 2014 at 11:14 AM

Mark McLemore? The Doctor of D?

Must be getting old, last I checked he was a little darker and heavier…

5. paperlions - Jun 13, 2014 at 11:34 AM

My austrailian shepard has this exact same hair cut, on his ass. Since I got him (and before that) he chews the fur on the sides and backs of his legs short, never to the skin, but short, and leaves it long on top. I’ve always called it a butthawk, but it is the same hair style that is becoming popular now…which cracks me up.

• gloccamorra - Jun 13, 2014 at 12:01 PM

You have GOT to provide a picture of that!

• paperlions - Jun 13, 2014 at 12:15 PM

I don’t think I have one where you can see it clearly. He’s a black-tri, so his but is gray on the sides and jet black on top with a little bit of a curl to it, being tailless really completes the effect.

6. proudlycanadian - Jun 13, 2014 at 11:39 AM

I am waiting for Sherriff McCann to comment on whether the unwritten rules were violated.

7. doctorofsmuganomics - Jun 13, 2014 at 11:44 AM

two selfies? what a d-bag.

…sadly I like a few of his songs. take pity on me

8. bgrillz - Jun 13, 2014 at 11:54 AM

How old are some of you guys? Haha, Macklemore has been inescapable for the past year. Much better toss than 50 Cent. And his real name is Ben Haggerty

• gloccamorra - Jun 13, 2014 at 12:03 PM

If he’s been inescapable wherever you’ve been the last year, maybe you need to go to some new places.

• jm91rs - Jun 13, 2014 at 1:26 PM

He really has been inescapable. Even if you don’t like him, or listen to any of his type of music, the guy is in the news on talk radio, even sports websites from time to time (die hard Seattle everything I believe). If you have any children you’ve heard his music a ton over the past year.

• jm91rs - Jun 13, 2014 at 1:29 PM

Since very few of you must have pre-teen children, I’ll sum him up in a way that many more will understand….He’s likely going to be remembered as this generation’s Vanilla Ice.

• Eutaw's Finest - Jun 13, 2014 at 1:57 PM

NAILED IT.

• NatsLady - Jun 13, 2014 at 4:39 PM

That would help if I knew who Vanilla Ice was.

9. arrow43050 - Jun 13, 2014 at 1:31 PM

I’d rather see this guy throw out a first pitch:

10. landrewc - Jun 13, 2014 at 3:20 PM

You guys are all trying to hard to be that out of touch. I know baseball fans live in the ancient past but give me a break.

11. nothanksimdriving123 - Jun 13, 2014 at 3:42 PM

Far more delightful was the photo the other day of Elle Fanning on the mound at Dodger Stadium.

12. lukedunphysscienceproject - Jun 13, 2014 at 3:46 PM

Macklemore is a huge Mariners fan and actually dedicated a song to longtime Mariners announcer Dave Neihaus, and then donated all the proceeds to the Boys and Girls Clubs. He was also an outspoken supporter of marriage equality and other issues.

But sure, just make lots of rash generalizations about him because he makes a type of music you don’t like.

13. stoicpaisano - Jun 13, 2014 at 4:42 PM

Macklemore can support marriage equality all he wants (not like that’s an underfunded cause) but “Same Love” was still pretentious pandering.

He also is all high-and-mighty about weed being dangerous simply because he got himself hooked on Oxy. Good luck winning fans with an anti-marijuana stance in the Pacific Northwest.

And finally, he looks like Roger Klotz.

14. genericcommenter - Jun 13, 2014 at 4:49 PM

He’s been around a long time, probably 10 years. I didn’t listen to him then and don’t now. But he’s been hard to avoid the past 2 years or so. He’s a big pop artist. I’m more into hip-hop, personally. That said, I am aware of stuff I don’t listen to. If Tech N9ne threw out a pitch for the Royals or Slug for the Twins (both “underground” rappers who’ve sold millions of units and can sellout any mid-size venue in a decent sized U.S. city), I wouldn’t be hanging out telling kids to get off my lawn.

• facebookuser111 - Jun 13, 2014 at 6:22 PM

There is a percentage of baseball fans who try really hard to prove how out of touch they are as if it validates some sort of ‘classic’ frame of mind when it comes to baseball.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (4792)