Jun 13, 2014, 11:19 AM EDT
Kevin Gausman is a really good prospect who was the No. 4 overall pick in the 2012 draft and has dominated in the minors, but he struggled in his first couple stints with the Orioles while posting a 6.10 ERA through 52 career innings.
He got another call-up last week thanks to Miguel Gonzalez‘s injury and now it looks like Gausman might be ready to stick in the majors for good.
Last night he tossed six innings of one-run ball against the Blue Jays and in his previous start he threw seven innings of one-run ball versus the A’s. Two very strong performances against two first-place teams and, while his career ERA is still ugly, Gausman now has a sparking 60/19 K/BB ratio in 65 total innings at age 23 while averaging 95.7 miles per hour with his fastball.
Assuming he stays in the majors Gausman will face the Rays, in Tampa Bay, next Tuesday.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 113
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 155
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 22
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 52
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 56
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (199)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (172)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (155)