Jun 13, 2014, 11:19 AM EDT
Kevin Gausman is a really good prospect who was the No. 4 overall pick in the 2012 draft and has dominated in the minors, but he struggled in his first couple stints with the Orioles while posting a 6.10 ERA through 52 career innings.
He got another call-up last week thanks to Miguel Gonzalez‘s injury and now it looks like Gausman might be ready to stick in the majors for good.
Last night he tossed six innings of one-run ball against the Blue Jays and in his previous start he threw seven innings of one-run ball versus the A’s. Two very strong performances against two first-place teams and, while his career ERA is still ugly, Gausman now has a sparking 60/19 K/BB ratio in 65 total innings at age 23 while averaging 95.7 miles per hour with his fastball.
Assuming he stays in the majors Gausman will face the Rays, in Tampa Bay, next Tuesday.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 34
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 38
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 89
- The Lester trade is a win-win 113
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (122)