Orioles rookie Kevin Gausman looks ready for his close-up

Jun 13, 2014, 11:19 AM EDT

Boston Red Sox v Baltimore Orioles Getty Images

Kevin Gausman is a really good prospect who was the No. 4 overall pick in the 2012 draft and has dominated in the minors, but he struggled in his first couple stints with the Orioles while posting a 6.10 ERA through 52 career innings.

He got another call-up last week thanks to Miguel Gonzalez‘s injury and now it looks like Gausman might be ready to stick in the majors for good.

Last night he tossed six innings of one-run ball against the Blue Jays and in his previous start he threw seven innings of one-run ball versus the A’s. Two very strong performances against two first-place teams and, while his career ERA is still ugly, Gausman now has a sparking 60/19 K/BB ratio in 65 total innings at age 23 while averaging 95.7 miles per hour with his fastball.

Assuming he stays in the majors Gausman will face the Rays, in Tampa Bay, next Tuesday.

1. Eutaw's Finest - Jun 13, 2014 at 12:00 PM

I approve this message. And now it pose the question: IF Gausman stays up and Gonzo comes off the DL, who is the odd man out? My guess is that Ubaldo had another bad awful miserable outing tonight and goes on the DL with a strain of some sort. Yanno, a “strain.”

• DJ MC - Jun 13, 2014 at 12:11 PM

A show about vampire zombies premiering on FX? I wouldn’t mind seeing Jimenez on there. Better than on the mound right now.

I’m guessing Gausman goes back down, just because he’s the young guy. And that would be an awful shame.

• psuorioles - Jun 13, 2014 at 1:47 PM

I see your point about Gausman being the young guy, but Buck is here to win now and so far, he gives them the best shot. Buck will make the right moves and Gausman going down is not one of them

• DJ MC - Jun 13, 2014 at 5:14 PM

Buck is loyal to a fault. And Gonzalez is one of the guys that has helped the team win over the past couple years. I think if it’s up to him he goes with the veteran (and likely tries to put Gausman in the ‘pen, which might make me throw my Showalter bobblehead through the wall).

I think Duquette is going to be the guy that stays behind Gausman in the rotation.

• madhatternalice - Jun 13, 2014 at 12:24 PM

Might be a good time to rest Tillman? Dude’s been all over the place this year, and I’m still not convinced he isn’t hurt.

• southpaw2k - Jun 13, 2014 at 12:45 PM

He pitched pretty well through a couple rain delays Wednesday night. I don’t know if his spot in the rotation is at risk the way Ubaldo’s is.

Incidentally, even though what they say is true, I’m really tired of hearing Orioles broadcasters say prior to every Ubaldo start something to the effect of, “The Orioles really need a strong start from Ubaldo tonight.” Might as well say, “The Earth really needs the sun to rise in the East tomorrow morning.”

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - Jun 13, 2014 at 3:15 PM

Ubaldo is getting paid too much money. Chen is pitching well. Tillman is the “ace” and Norris is having a good year. My guess is Gonzalez, although it’s basically Russian Roulette at this point.

2. proudlycanadian - Jun 13, 2014 at 12:09 PM

Gausman certainly pitched well yesterday and deserves more starts.

3. nawlinssaints1956 - Jun 13, 2014 at 10:03 PM

Gausman was lights out for LSU and a good draft pick by the O’s. Might have been brought up too soon the first time, but he is ready.

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win