Quote of the Day: Chipper Jones loves it when an Angel Hernandez call gets overturned on replay

Jun 13, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT

Angel Hernandez

Chipper Jones was on the MLB Network Radio on SiriusXM today with Mike Ferrin and Jim Duquette. They asked him about a number of things, including instant replay. Chipper had this to say about calls overturned against a certain umpire with whom he has a history:

There needs to be some adjustments to how quickly it is done, but I love it. Every time Angel Hernandez gets challenged I love it! … My goodness, it warms my heart every time I get on Twitter and I hear that Angel Hernandez got a call overturned because all of my followers, they know my affection towards Angel Hernandez and when he gets a call overturned they are all over it, my Twitter feed lights up.”

Even better would be if no Angel Hernandez calls were ever reviewed by virtue of MLB going to a pure merit system with umpires, thereby pushing him out of the business, but let’s not make the perfect the enemy of the good.

Listen here:

1. jets82jets - Jun 13, 2014 at 3:08 PM

Honestly I completely agree. Watching him call games is painful. His call in last night’s Mets’ game in the bottom of the 13th with the bases loaded was maddening. Recker had a right to be pissed. The ball was at his ankles and he calls it strike three.

• gothapotamus90210 - Jun 13, 2014 at 3:54 PM

I don’t think I’ve seen a bat broken with such authority since Bo Jackson.

2. Old Gator - Jun 13, 2014 at 3:10 PM

Wouldn’t it be spiffy if we found out that Angel was smoking weed to fight his galucoma?

3. jennstergersburnedretinas - Jun 13, 2014 at 3:29 PM

I watch 95% of all Orioles game’s and cringe when he is announced as part of the crew. I always thought it was a Vendetta against the O’s but apparently he’s an equal opportunity offender.

• chadjones27 - Jun 13, 2014 at 4:41 PM

Once a jerk, always a jerk

4. proudlycanadian - Jun 13, 2014 at 3:30 PM

Angel is no Angel, but neither is Larry.

5. sleepyirv - Jun 13, 2014 at 4:27 PM

I wouldn’t let Angel umpire a little league game, though that’s mostly because he would get into yelling matches with the kids.

• jss1330 - Jun 13, 2014 at 4:51 PM

He should umpire a Mitch Williams coached team.

6. raysfan1 - Jun 13, 2014 at 5:06 PM

Just a reminder that he was incompetent as a minor league ump too:

7. musketmaniac - Jun 13, 2014 at 6:47 PM

An announcer once commented on Angel. Forget who said it or exactly what he said, but it went something like ,` this guy is a joke, the players laugh at him because he actually thinks people come to major league games and pay to see him ump.

• memphisrain - Jul 6, 2014 at 2:05 AM

That sounds like what I’ve heard Mike Shannon (St. Louis radio announcer) say. He can’t stand Hernandez and will not even say his name because he says Hernandez is all about the publicity.

8. notsofast10 - Jun 13, 2014 at 6:56 PM

What a bunch of racists!…………Welcome to today’s world.

9. kevinbnyc - Jun 13, 2014 at 7:36 PM

I don’t know if I like Chipper Jones the player or Chipper Jones the “get off my lawn” retiree more.

10. kraa0901 - Jun 13, 2014 at 7:40 PM

I mean, I get it, him and Angel have a bad history. But, I always thought Chipper was a down to earth, nice guy. Everything I have heard out of his mouth since retirement makes him out to be a complete jack wagon.

Totally did not see that side of him in his playing days. But then again I’m a Twins fan from Minnesota, so who knows.

• gloccamorra - Jun 14, 2014 at 8:49 PM

What you hear/read is usually well-chosen for it’s controversial nature. IOW, highly selective quotes, always in danger of being taken out of context unless you’ve heard and seen him say the whole thing. The “warms the cockles of my heart” phrase should tell you he was jokingly playing off his past arguments with Hernandez after being prompted by the announcers.

11. tonyricemajorharris - Jun 14, 2014 at 9:02 AM

Hernandez should feel guilty every time he cashes his pay check. One of the worst umps in MLB. Too bad for the game

12. skeeterbarnes - Jul 9, 2014 at 3:39 PM

13. gman16 - Jul 31, 2014 at 11:27 AM

Not only a horrible ump but a real d-bag to boot. Saw him “ump” a game last year in Miami…was “honored’ by his foundation that he has….kept all of the foul balls and infield/outfield between-inning practice balls for himself/foundation…would ignore little kids (who were not part of his group) in the front row who pleaded for a ball…did this for 9 innings. Was actually smirking and laughing at the kids.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3321)