The Braves are policing imaginary offenses again

Jun 13, 2014, 8:13 AM EST

Dickerson

Brian McCann is gone, but the Braves Decorum Police are still on the beat.

In yesterday’s game David Carpenter threw a pitch at Rockies hitter Corey Dickerson. I invite Braves fans to try to argue it wasn’t intentional, but it so clearly was that you’re embarrassing yourself if you claim otherwise. Watch it here.

The reason for the plunking: Dickerson hit catcher Gerald Laird with a foul tip and then caught him with a backswing on a foul ball just before, knocking him out of the game. That really does suck — a guy can get seriously hurt like that and Laird was down in the dirt for a long time — but there was no motive for Dickerson to do that to Laird on purpose whatsoever. And it’s not like Dickerson has magical powers and could direct the foul tip at Laird. And Laird himself said after the game that he knew the whole sequence was unintentional.

But don’t tell that to Carpenter. He got ejected and Rockies manager Walt Weiss got ejected for a particularly over-the-top argument, after which he smashed a bat into the dugout wall. Then Rockies and Braves pitchers started throwing at each other, leading to more ejections.

But hey, at least Carpenter taught Dickerson a lesson. About what, I have no idea, but he sure taught him.

1. realgone2 - Jun 13, 2014 at 8:20 AM

I’m glad Craig was down there on the field to know what was said between the players during the incident and in the dugouts too. Oh silly me he wasn’t he’s just pulling this out of his ass as usual.

• lyon810 - Jun 13, 2014 at 8:27 AM

It’s too early to be this bitter about nothing.

• Old Gator - Jun 13, 2014 at 8:57 AM

Yes it is – I haven’t even had my liquid pacemaker yet – but even if it’s too early for bitterness, is it ever too early for stupid? By eight twenty in the morning, most of us have already made at least one mistake – peeing on the toilet seat, for example, or brushing our teeth with Ben Gay….

• [citation needed] fka COPO - Jun 13, 2014 at 8:33 AM

Let me guess, you failed reading and didn’t understand when the Braves catcher said he knew Dickerson didn’t do it on purpose?

• ashot - Jun 13, 2014 at 8:42 AM

Laird: Ouch! That hurt!

Dickerson: Sorry about that.

Laird: That’s ok. It happens.

Dickerson: Actually, I’m totally not sorry. I totally did it on purpose.

(Sound of ball hitting Dickerson)

• aresachaela - Jun 13, 2014 at 9:06 AM

Oh, what a silly Braves fan you are rg2!

2. renaado - Jun 13, 2014 at 8:41 AM

This is bull****……… Dunno with a1-2 count if it’s intentional or not.

3. mdpickles - Jun 13, 2014 at 8:44 AM

Instead of suspending the players, suspend Fredi Gonzalez. Only way the Braves will learn. This bad attitude comes from him.

• renaado - Jun 13, 2014 at 8:54 AM

What? These players have different personalities and minds of their own, just because they’re their manager you say they got his attitude from him then? Clearly not.

4. DelawarePhilliesFan - Jun 13, 2014 at 8:51 AM

“And Walt Weiss is screaming at the gutless David Carpenter”

Come on Rockie announcers, tell us how you really feel

• yahmule - Jun 13, 2014 at 4:40 PM

Don Sutton wasn’t the calmest guy in the room, either.

5. Old Gator - Jun 13, 2014 at 8:54 AM

We need Carpenter on the front lines between Tikrit and Baghdad.

6. scoutsaysweitersisabust - Jun 13, 2014 at 8:58 AM

So this is the second time inside of a week that players have been thrown at because a catcher was too close to the batter and got hit by a swing. I have an idea. BACK UP! There is plenty of room in that box for both the catcher and batter and if you are so close the batter is clubbing you with a bat on the swing, it’s your responsibility to back UP.

Second, yet again a player is thrown at due to a stupid, unnecessary escalation of players policing themselves according to the unwritten rules. When is MLB going to step in and get these guys to knock this stuff off?

Third, good for the umpire for doing his job properly and ejecting the pitcher immediately, and even the manager when it was obvious that tempers were out of control and retaliation was inevitable. We often slam the umpires in this game, but this was a perfect example of an umpire taking control of a situation and diffusing a potential escalation.

• bravojawja - Jun 13, 2014 at 10:46 AM

It’s hard to tell from the video, but isn’t it possible the catcher was where he should be and the batter was too far back in the box? It wouldn’t be the first time. I remember it being an issue not too long ago with batters scratching out the back line of the batter’s box and stepping over the now-invisible line to get more time on fastballs.

• gloccamorra - Jun 13, 2014 at 12:40 PM

Getting that far back in the box puts the batter at a disadvantage on breaking balls and sinkers. Ever seen video of Babe Ruth? He’d waggle the bat and move up in the box, like he couldn’t wait to smack the ball. Ruth’s lifetime average: .343, one point less than Ted Williams’ .344.

• bravojawja - Jun 13, 2014 at 1:05 PM

Who cares about ungodly breaking stuff you can’t hit anyway when you’re trying to catch up to a veritable fusillade of 95+ mph fastballs?

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - Jun 13, 2014 at 3:03 PM

If that is the case, then it’s on the Umpire to ensure the batter is properly inside the batters box.

7. stlouis1baseball - Jun 13, 2014 at 9:23 AM

“then Rockies and Braves pitchers started throwing at each other, leading to more ejections.”
    This is just another reason I love the game of baseball. And in particular, National League Baseball.

8. tysonpunchinguterus - Jun 13, 2014 at 10:02 AM

“The Braves are policing imaginary offenses again”

What’s their beef with the Royals?

• doctorofsmuganomics - Jun 13, 2014 at 11:00 AM

awwwww….

• tigersfandan - Jun 13, 2014 at 9:15 PM

You win the internet.

9. card0109 - Jun 13, 2014 at 10:33 AM

It should be stated that, yes, while Rockies pitcher Masset hit Gattis in retaliation for Dickerson, Braves pitcher Teheran hit Rutledge in the high shoulder, which then ricocheted up to hit him in the face.

I don’t condone intentionally hitting someone in any situation, but if you’re going to hit someone, for Pete’s sake, don’t throw so close to their head!

• bravojawja - Jun 13, 2014 at 10:37 AM

re: the Teheran pitch.

Did you see Teheran’s reaction? No way in hell was that on purpose.

• card0109 - Jun 13, 2014 at 10:53 AM

I didn’t see it, no. Do you have a video link?

I also realized after I posted that the Teheran/Rutledge incident was on Wednesday, not Thursday, when everything else went down. My bad. I still stand by the statement that, if you feel like you must throw at someone, aim low rather than high. It seems that Masset’s throw at Gattis hit him in the bicep. Still too high for my liking.

• bravojawja - Jun 13, 2014 at 11:05 AM

Here’s the link to the video.

• notsofast10 - Jun 13, 2014 at 11:35 AM

Who’s Masset????

• cardsnrocks - Jun 13, 2014 at 12:11 PM

Teheran also threw at Dickerson’s head in that game. That didn’t appear to be intentional, but hitting Rutledge a few throws later, hmmm… The guy with one of the best ERAs this year was getting shellacked, and he’s lost so much of his command that he throws at heads?

10. thatsnuckinfuts - Jun 13, 2014 at 10:57 AM

I thought pitchers in the NL don’t throw at batters because they have to hit themselves?

• tigersfandan - Jun 13, 2014 at 9:16 PM

Not if they are relief pitchers.

11. foreverchipper10 - Jun 13, 2014 at 11:31 AM

Boy, the Braves just aren’t really good at anything anymore are they? Oh, wait, yes they are. They are fantastic and making me shake my head and sigh in disgust on a near daily basis.

12. bobulated - Jun 13, 2014 at 11:34 AM

I’m not defending him at all but Carpenter is an ex-catcher and has been pitching to some terrible luck lately. Frustration at seeing a teammate go down, being down big in the game and personal performance struggles and you ave a guy that’s looking for some release and Dickerson got it. It was a d*** move by Carpenter and one would hope he realized it afterwards and made some sort of gesture to apologize.

13. miguelcairo - Jun 13, 2014 at 11:36 AM

I feel like Carpenter should play for the Red Sox, he’d fit right in.

14. yahmule - Jun 13, 2014 at 12:10 PM

My wife came in and told me about this and I said to myself, “there’s no way in hell Gerald Laird made a big deal about this.”

15. ahrmon - Jun 13, 2014 at 1:11 PM

Weird…I thought the Red Sox were baseball’s panty-twisting moral arbiters.

16. barrywhererufrom - Jun 13, 2014 at 1:50 PM

When is OK to retaliate?

• tigersfandan - Jun 13, 2014 at 9:17 PM

Maybe when the Rockies drilled Gattis the next inning. That could at least be considered defensible.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (4701)
  2. M. Kemp (3732)
  3. M. Cabrera (2925)
  4. J. Kang (2773)
  5. J. Upton (2631)
  1. M. Morse (2620)
  2. W. Middlebrooks (2304)
  3. A. Rios (2275)