Jun 13, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
Ken Rosenthal reports that the San Diego Padres could be in for a big shakeup. And it could result in Bud Black losing his job:
Ron Fowler, the team’s executive chairman, indicated in an e-mail to FOX Sports on Thursday night that changes could be imminent for his struggling franchise.
“At this time, we will not be discussing our situation with any parties outside of our senior management circle,” Fowler said.
“That said, we are terribly disappointed in the team’s offense this year and staying the course (waiting for a turnaround) is becoming less appealing as the ugly losses continue.”
The Padres have baseball’s worst offense by far. And while not considered to be a serious contender by most, have been identified by many commentators over the past couple of years as having the potential to be a surprise team of sorts. But nothing they’ve done has panned out. In situations like this, hitting coaches get fired and maybe — as Rosenthal suggests — manager Bud Black could be in trouble too.
Ultimately, the biggest problem is that the Padres lack, you know, good hitters. But that’s not something that is quickly fixed.
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 0
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 8
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 28
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 19
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 13
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 42
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 45
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (188)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)