Jun 13, 2014, 1:00 PM EST
Ken Rosenthal reports that the San Diego Padres could be in for a big shakeup. And it could result in Bud Black losing his job:
Ron Fowler, the team’s executive chairman, indicated in an e-mail to FOX Sports on Thursday night that changes could be imminent for his struggling franchise.
“At this time, we will not be discussing our situation with any parties outside of our senior management circle,” Fowler said.
“That said, we are terribly disappointed in the team’s offense this year and staying the course (waiting for a turnaround) is becoming less appealing as the ugly losses continue.”
The Padres have baseball’s worst offense by far. And while not considered to be a serious contender by most, have been identified by many commentators over the past couple of years as having the potential to be a surprise team of sorts. But nothing they’ve done has panned out. In situations like this, hitting coaches get fired and maybe — as Rosenthal suggests — manager Bud Black could be in trouble too.
Ultimately, the biggest problem is that the Padres lack, you know, good hitters. But that’s not something that is quickly fixed.
- MLB declares Hector Olivera a free agent 0
- Video: Watch Matt Harvey’s return to action against the Tigers 3
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 23
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 36
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 147
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (380)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (147)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)