Jun 13, 2014, 1:00 PM EST
Ken Rosenthal reports that the San Diego Padres could be in for a big shakeup. And it could result in Bud Black losing his job:
Ron Fowler, the team’s executive chairman, indicated in an e-mail to FOX Sports on Thursday night that changes could be imminent for his struggling franchise.
“At this time, we will not be discussing our situation with any parties outside of our senior management circle,” Fowler said.
“That said, we are terribly disappointed in the team’s offense this year and staying the course (waiting for a turnaround) is becoming less appealing as the ugly losses continue.”
The Padres have baseball’s worst offense by far. And while not considered to be a serious contender by most, have been identified by many commentators over the past couple of years as having the potential to be a surprise team of sorts. But nothing they’ve done has panned out. In situations like this, hitting coaches get fired and maybe — as Rosenthal suggests — manager Bud Black could be in trouble too.
Ultimately, the biggest problem is that the Padres lack, you know, good hitters. But that’s not something that is quickly fixed.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (137)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)