Jun 13, 2014, 5:03 PM EDT
Some serious high road avoidance was taken by Thom Loverro of the Washington Times earlier this week. In his column he basically decided to call former National Michael Morse stupid:
Michael Morse wasn’t the sharpest pencil in the box in the Washington Nationals clubhouse when he was here. Nice guy, good for some laughs, but if the clubhouse ever had to show up for a collective IQ test, let’s just say it would be a good time for Morse to take one of his many trips to the disabled list.
Why does he get called dumb? Because Morse reiterated his displeasure at the Nationals shutting down Stephen Strasburg two years ago. And, apparently, because Morse said nice things about the fans in San Francisco compared to the fans in Washington.
Obviously people have different opinions about the Strasburg thing, but I don’t think it’s a matter of intelligence like Loverro says it is. No matter what you may have done in that situation, there is no set of hard facts or evidence that suggests you were 100% correct. Personally I’d love to have pitched Strasburg in the playoffs, but I have no guarantee that’d he’d do better or that he wouldn’t have hurt himself. Loverro thinks differently and thinks anyone who disagrees with him is a dolt. He has no definitive evidence to support his case either.
But more than just classless for calling Morse dumb, Loverro’s column is plain wrong too. He says the Nationals are better off without Morse. This despite Morse putting up way better numbers playing mostly left field than the Nats’ primary left fielder in Bryce Harper‘s absence — Nate McLouth — has. And Adam LaRoche missed time at first too. Think having Morse cover for those two might have been a good thing for the Nats?
Just a weird bitter column written, apparently, as a sop to those fans who took personal offense to Morse not saying Nats fans were the best ever. Which is a really silly basis on which to waste column inches.
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 47
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 54
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 65
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 72
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)