Jun 13, 2014, 10:15 AM EST
Yankees catching prospect Gary Sanchez, who ranked 35th on Baseball America’s annual list heading into this season, has been benched at Double-A for repeated disciplinary reasons.
Nick Peruffo of the Trentonian reports that Sanchez sat out a second straight game Thursday and afterward had a closed-door meeting with Double-A manager Tony Franklin.
Franklin declined to reveal any specifics, but here’s what he did say:
It was disciplinary action. I needed to take care of that today, to get things clarified and cleared up. I’m not going to tell you what it was, but it was a violation of some of our guidelines and I needed to take care of it. Gary is out of there for a couple of days until we decide he deserves to play again, plain and simple.
Sanchez is considered one of the elite catching prospects in baseball, but with the Yankees his path to the majors is blocked by the team signing Brian McCann to a five-year, $85 million contract this offseason. He also hasn’t been particularly impressive at Double-A, hitting .252 with seven homers and a .741 OPS in 53 games, although that’s a lot more impressive than it looks when you consider Sanchez is one of the league’s youngest players at age 21.
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 19
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 52
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 41
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 47
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)