Jun 13, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
The Yankees have signed veteran reliever Heath Bell to a minor league deal and assigned him to Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, Chad Jennings of the LoHud.com reports. To make room for him on the RailRiders roster, right-handed pitcher Mark Montgomery was moved from Triple-A to Double-A Trenton.
Bell, 36, opted out of his minor league deal with the Orioles on Sunday when he learned that he wasn’t a candidate for a promotion at the time. He had signed with the club on May 16 after having been released by the Rays days prior.
In 17 1/3 innings at the major league level with the Rays, Bell posted a 7.27 ERA with a 12/8 K/BB ratio. With Triple-A Norfolk in the Orioles’ system, Bell posted a 4.22 ERA with an 11/6 K/BB ratio in 10 2/3 innings.
Announcement: Hardball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $40,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Friday night’s MLB games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $6,000. Starts at 7:05pm ET on Friday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 4
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 19
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 13
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 12
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 37
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 43
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 186
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (186)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)