Jun 13, 2014, 6:30 PM EST
The Yankees have signed veteran reliever Heath Bell to a minor league deal and assigned him to Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, Chad Jennings of the LoHud.com reports. To make room for him on the RailRiders roster, right-handed pitcher Mark Montgomery was moved from Triple-A to Double-A Trenton.
Bell, 36, opted out of his minor league deal with the Orioles on Sunday when he learned that he wasn’t a candidate for a promotion at the time. He had signed with the club on May 16 after having been released by the Rays days prior.
In 17 1/3 innings at the major league level with the Rays, Bell posted a 7.27 ERA with a 12/8 K/BB ratio. With Triple-A Norfolk in the Orioles’ system, Bell posted a 4.22 ERA with an 11/6 K/BB ratio in 10 2/3 innings.
Announcement: Hardball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $40,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Friday night’s MLB games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $6,000. Starts at 7:05pm ET on Friday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (134)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)