Jun 13, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
The Yankees have signed veteran reliever Heath Bell to a minor league deal and assigned him to Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, Chad Jennings of the LoHud.com reports. To make room for him on the RailRiders roster, right-handed pitcher Mark Montgomery was moved from Triple-A to Double-A Trenton.
Bell, 36, opted out of his minor league deal with the Orioles on Sunday when he learned that he wasn’t a candidate for a promotion at the time. He had signed with the club on May 16 after having been released by the Rays days prior.
In 17 1/3 innings at the major league level with the Rays, Bell posted a 7.27 ERA with a 12/8 K/BB ratio. With Triple-A Norfolk in the Orioles’ system, Bell posted a 4.22 ERA with an 11/6 K/BB ratio in 10 2/3 innings.
Announcement: Hardball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $40,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Friday night’s MLB games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $6,000. Starts at 7:05pm ET on Friday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 0
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 91
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 124
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (99)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (98)