Jun 14, 2014, 11:01 AM EST
40-year-old Bobby Abreu was released by the Phillies at the end of spring training, but he continues to be a surprising contributor for the offense-starved Mets.
Hitting cleanup with Curtis Granderson sidelined due to a calf injury, Abreu went 4-for-4 with two RBI and two runs scored last night in a 6-2 victory over the Padres at Citi Field in New York. He doubled and scored in the second inning, singled and scored in the fourth, had an RBI single in the fifth, and knocked in another run with a single in the seventh. The big night gave him his first four-hit game since May 30, 2011 with the Angels.
Abreu is now batting .319/.386/.472 with one home run, 11 RBI, and more walks (nine) than strikeouts (eight) over 83 plate appearances this season. It should be said that 41-year-old Bartolo Colon was the winning pitcher last night after giving up two runs over 7 1/3 innings. He has a 1.83 ERA over his last five starts. The Mets are building around youth, but the old dudes are getting it done right now.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 82
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 160
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (160)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)