Jun 14, 2014, 11:01 AM EDT
40-year-old Bobby Abreu was released by the Phillies at the end of spring training, but he continues to be a surprising contributor for the offense-starved Mets.
Hitting cleanup with Curtis Granderson sidelined due to a calf injury, Abreu went 4-for-4 with two RBI and two runs scored last night in a 6-2 victory over the Padres at Citi Field in New York. He doubled and scored in the second inning, singled and scored in the fourth, had an RBI single in the fifth, and knocked in another run with a single in the seventh. The big night gave him his first four-hit game since May 30, 2011 with the Angels.
Abreu is now batting .319/.386/.472 with one home run, 11 RBI, and more walks (nine) than strikeouts (eight) over 83 plate appearances this season. It should be said that 41-year-old Bartolo Colon was the winning pitcher last night after giving up two runs over 7 1/3 innings. He has a 1.83 ERA over his last five starts. The Mets are building around youth, but the old dudes are getting it done right now.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 9
- The Lester trade is a win-win 97
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 153
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 91
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (156)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (121)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)