Jun 14, 2014, 3:30 PM EST
According to Jonathan Mayo of MLB.com, the Brewers have agreed to terms with first-round pick left-hander Kodi Medeiros. He’ll receive a bonus of $2.5 million and an additional $240,000 for school.
Medeiros, a high school pitcher out of Hawaii, was selected No. 13 overall in last week’s First-Year Player Draft. The assigned slot value for the pick was $2.81 million. The Brewers anticipated saving some draft pool money when they drafted him, as they went overslot to sign second-round pick shortstop Jacob Gatewood and third-round pick outfielder Monte Harrison.
Here’s the analysis of the Medeiros pick from our own Matthew Pouliot:
He’s the first Hawaiian high schooler to go in the first round since 2001. The Brewers have whiffed on a bunch of first-round picks the last five years — no one they’ve picked in the first or supplemental round since 2009 has reached the majors — and here’s another high-risk selection for them. Medeiros has a great arm, with a moving low-90s fastball and a big-breaking slider, but with an odd delivery and mediocre command, he’s a long shot to reach his ceiling.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)