Jun 14, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
According to Jonathan Mayo of MLB.com, the Brewers have agreed to terms with first-round pick left-hander Kodi Medeiros. He’ll receive a bonus of $2.5 million and an additional $240,000 for school.
Medeiros, a high school pitcher out of Hawaii, was selected No. 13 overall in last week’s First-Year Player Draft. The assigned slot value for the pick was $2.81 million. The Brewers anticipated saving some draft pool money when they drafted him, as they went overslot to sign second-round pick shortstop Jacob Gatewood and third-round pick outfielder Monte Harrison.
Here’s the analysis of the Medeiros pick from our own Matthew Pouliot:
He’s the first Hawaiian high schooler to go in the first round since 2001. The Brewers have whiffed on a bunch of first-round picks the last five years — no one they’ve picked in the first or supplemental round since 2009 has reached the majors — and here’s another high-risk selection for them. Medeiros has a great arm, with a moving low-90s fastball and a big-breaking slider, but with an odd delivery and mediocre command, he’s a long shot to reach his ceiling.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 42
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 14
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)