Jun 14, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
According to Jonathan Mayo of MLB.com, the Brewers have agreed to terms with first-round pick left-hander Kodi Medeiros. He’ll receive a bonus of $2.5 million and an additional $240,000 for school.
Medeiros, a high school pitcher out of Hawaii, was selected No. 13 overall in last week’s First-Year Player Draft. The assigned slot value for the pick was $2.81 million. The Brewers anticipated saving some draft pool money when they drafted him, as they went overslot to sign second-round pick shortstop Jacob Gatewood and third-round pick outfielder Monte Harrison.
Here’s the analysis of the Medeiros pick from our own Matthew Pouliot:
He’s the first Hawaiian high schooler to go in the first round since 2001. The Brewers have whiffed on a bunch of first-round picks the last five years — no one they’ve picked in the first or supplemental round since 2009 has reached the majors — and here’s another high-risk selection for them. Medeiros has a great arm, with a moving low-90s fastball and a big-breaking slider, but with an odd delivery and mediocre command, he’s a long shot to reach his ceiling.
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 43
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 33
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 103
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 67
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (104)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results (81)