Don’t invite Robin Yount to play in an old-timer’s game

Jun 14, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT

Robin Yount

Hall of Famer Robin Yount has some very strong feelings on Old Timers Games. He hates them. Will never play in them and says “I ain’t playin’ so don’t ask me to come.

His comments can be read at length in Bob Wolfley’s column at the Journal-Sentinel today. His basic argument: kids will be confused seeing players who were supposed to be really good stumbling around the diamond trying to play in their 60s and 70s. And that would be bad for the kids, etc.

Which, OK, but I think he underestimates kids a great deal. When I was a kid I’d see some old Detroit Tigers players in uniform hitting fungoes or something and my uncle would tell me that so-and-so played in the 50s or 60s. I was able to process it pretty well. I think the kids today could handle seeing old Robin Young lumbering around too if he’d just relax a little and have some fun.

1. pjmitch - Jun 14, 2014 at 8:08 PM

I think it’s Robin Yount who doesn’t want to see Robin Yount bumbling around and confusing himself of the past glory.

• idolized1 - Jun 14, 2014 at 8:44 PM

I haven’t got to play baseball since high school, but if someone offered me the chance to step in the batters box one more time, even just for fun, I would jump at the chance – even if I sucked!

Sad to hear this. I’m sure processing retirement is hard for him, and other former sports stars.

Oh well. The game will go on without him.

• brewcrewfan54 - Jun 14, 2014 at 10:50 PM

Yount doesn’t have a ton to do with MLB at this point in his life and he’s had plenty of offers from tje Brewers for sure. He’s obviously done pretty well for himself and can pick and choose what events he decides to participate in. He’s a legend, especially in Milwaukee and deserves to be treated as such. Plus he’s just good people.

2. greej1938l - Jun 14, 2014 at 8:13 PM

Competitor. I can respect that

3. motorcitydiddy - Jun 14, 2014 at 8:21 PM

If he doesn’t think they can handle watching former pro players he better hope they never watch themselves. Those early years are brutal. Robin, you’re being absurd.

4. kcroyal - Jun 14, 2014 at 8:55 PM

I ain’t playing and get off my lawn! Jesus, I bet this guy votes republican.

• metalhead65 - Jun 14, 2014 at 10:45 PM

most smart people do. and when others like you vote we end up getting somebody like who is in office now. a inept I did not know that until I saw it on the news and blame it on the guy who has been out office for 6 years now. and you wonder the country and the world is in the shape it is. everything Romney said would happen when he ran for office has happened or is happening but he was mocked at the time.

• wiscotom - Jun 15, 2014 at 12:33 AM

No, he was mocked for being an out-of-touch moron, not anything policy related. Not that his policies were anything noteworthy. Just more tax cuts and budget cuts.

• miguelcairo - Jun 15, 2014 at 12:57 AM

You’re, as my grampa would say, “a piece of work.”

And ignorant.

• Shayna - Jun 15, 2014 at 8:02 AM

Um, baseball?…

• lifer124 - Jun 15, 2014 at 8:20 AM

Your writing makes me wonder if you include yourself in that “smart people” group. Sentences are hard to construct properly, I know.

• metalhead65 - Jun 15, 2014 at 9:15 AM

since I did not vote for the clown in office yes I would consider myself one of the smart people group.

• abaird2012 - Jun 15, 2014 at 9:43 AM

Stop it! Your illiterate ramblings are making us all look bad!

• metalhead65 - Jun 15, 2014 at 12:42 PM

please stfu yourself. nobody goes to a message board board to be lectured by grammar nazis. it must not have been to illiterate for you since you read and responded to it. if you insult me be assured I will respond however grammatically incorrect. in this case I take saying he votes republican as insult. you don’t want politics on here then don’t bring it up.

• ltzep75 - Jun 15, 2014 at 11:33 AM

Oh look, an argument about the red team vs the blue team.

• ken14andersonforhof - Jun 21, 2014 at 7:32 PM

if republicans are so smart why did G(Weasel)Bush leave the U.S. in 2 wars,financial/ investment firms failing and gave banks billions of dollars that they still cant account for, and the country all but in a state of depression when he left office? the old saying goes,”it takes at least 8 years, to clean up after a elephant has been in office”!

• metalhead65 - Jun 21, 2014 at 7:38 PM

did you dumbocrats just make that up? never heard that before. funny it only took regan 4 years to clean up the carter disaster. and thanks to obummer carter looks like a good president compared to him.

• jimeejohnson - Jul 18, 2014 at 11:45 AM

You’re another dumb as sin right wing bass turd who can’t write, just like your hero, that idiot “Lil gq bush-League”. Your Reds suck, as does every professional team in Cincinnati. You and your teams, including Team Stupid Right Wing Nuts, are LOSERS. Your party of stupid lost the Presidency to a BLACK MAN TWICE IN A ROW. Republicans are the embodiment of STUPID.

• metalhead65 - Jul 18, 2014 at 1:02 PM

please do the world a favor and go play in traffic or just kill yourself now.and for the love of god please do not reproduce or if you have give them up for adoption. they have a better chance in life living with on the street than being raised by scum like you.

• rogerisdead - Jul 20, 2014 at 4:40 PM

Or if George bush wasn’t so completely , unbelievably terrible, then so many people wouldnt have gone in that direction. The republican party shot themselves in the foot by adding Sarah Palin to McCain’s cardX and then nominating mitt romney. So shut up they did it to themselves.

• thomas844 - Jun 15, 2014 at 1:04 AM

And by your sarcastic, condescending attitude and readiness to bash the right-wingers when talking about a story that has nothing to do with politics, I can bet you vote democrat.

Generalizations are fun.

• whatacrocker - Jun 15, 2014 at 2:47 AM

He was highly critical of Republicans, and so your considered analysis is…he’s a Democrat. Wow, Holmes has nothing on you there, Dr. Watson.

• thomas844 - Jun 15, 2014 at 11:37 AM

Obviously Sir you didn’t quite grasp the sarcastic nature of my response. To figure that out is elementary.

5. papichulo55 - Jun 14, 2014 at 8:58 PM

Craig is spot-on; OldTimer Games tap into the rich tradition of older fans sharing their passion. I did not have the benefit of high speed Internet or YouTube. I had to go to the library to read about Jimmy Foxx. Robin has his rights to his opinions, but he needs to really appreciate how his performances have been immortalized by the new technology.

• brewcrewfan54 - Jun 14, 2014 at 10:45 PM

Well then they can just watch new technology to waych him play then because playing in an Old Timers game wont change what’s already been done.

• metalhead65 - Jun 15, 2014 at 4:38 AM

and you miguelcairo can’t handle the truth so what does that make you? let me help you out answering that and that would be a tree hugging oboma loving liberal!

• jimeejohnson - Jul 18, 2014 at 11:47 AM

Right wing bass turd: what are you going to do when your party of stupid lets a woman become the first President of the USA, and it won’t be a stupid right wing bass turd that you favor.

• extavernmouse - Jul 18, 2014 at 7:06 PM

Could we just talk about baseball here?

6. tfbuckfutter - Jun 14, 2014 at 9:48 PM

I don’t blame him.

Who the hell rounds out that team?

It’s him, Aaron and Jim Abbott and his one arm.

7. sdelmonte - Jun 14, 2014 at 10:17 PM

It’s not like anyone outside the Bronx has old timers games anymore, though.

• wiscotom - Jun 15, 2014 at 12:34 AM

Not even in Philly?

• twinfan24 - Jun 15, 2014 at 4:13 AM

Twins had one last year or year before. Since they were playing the Rangers, they got former Twin, now Ranger manager, Ron Washington to play. Most of the Rangers were in their dugout watching their manager play in a Twins old timers game. It was pretty awesome.

8. nothanksimdriving123 - Jun 14, 2014 at 11:41 PM

Obviously, Robin is entitled to his opinion, but someone should tell him the delightful story of Luke Appling. A Hall of Fame player in the 1930s and ’40s, with time out for his service in World War II, Appling played in an old-timers game in DC 1982, at age 75. He hit a home run off fellow Hall of Famer Warren Spahn, and not only did fans talk about it for ages afterward, it was in the first paragraph of his obit several years later. Old-timers games can be very cool.

9. weaselpuppy - Jun 15, 2014 at 12:54 AM

I want to see all the fantastic Wallbangers moustaches all silver foxery….

10. fissels - Jun 15, 2014 at 8:38 AM

Robin has every right to his opinion. Maybe he wants to leave the past in the past, where it should be.

11. Carl Hancock - Jun 15, 2014 at 11:21 AM

I wouldn’t want to see Robin Yount play in an old timers game either.

• stlouis1baseball - Jun 16, 2014 at 10:04 AM

One of the greatest to ever play the game and you don’t want to see him play?

Qualification: While I would like to see him play…it is his call and one in which he is entitled to do as he pleases either way.

12. earpaniac - Jun 15, 2014 at 12:09 PM

Funny, that’s how most people remember him playing at the end of his career.

13. rfactor35 - Jun 15, 2014 at 1:45 PM

He’s just afraid Dale Svuem shows up to the old timers game. A man shoots you in the face just one time, you get a little jumpy.

14. dougwantstoramble - Jun 15, 2014 at 2:37 PM

I blame this on Obama totally!

• stlouis1baseball - Jun 16, 2014 at 10:03 AM

Try to stay on point Doug.
      Round’ these parts…it’s all Bush’s fault. Always has been…always will be.

• jimeejohnson - Jul 18, 2014 at 11:48 AM

It’s not his fault he’s a peabrain dummy. I blame his parents.

15. advantageschneider - Jun 15, 2014 at 4:09 PM

No one who has listened to a Robin Yount interview thinks he needs to lighten up. I think this was probably said more tongue in cheek and didn’t translate well to print.

For video evidence I present this. Does this look like a man that needs to lighten up?

16. bmadormo - Jun 16, 2014 at 6:55 AM

Never thought it was about playing-a chance for the fans to see some of the past players and reminisce and talk about what they remember most about them. I respect Robin Younts feelings but fans would love to see him around again. Great Memories of a Great player

17. adcwonk - Jul 9, 2014 at 8:49 AM

I tell you what — I’ve been to some old-timer games. Except for the fact that they move slower than they used to, they’re still pretty darn good even in old age. And better than I ever was.

I once saw an old Vada Pinson throw a bullet from RF to 3b. It blew me away.

These athletes are on a different level. Even when they are old timers.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3447)