Jun 14, 2014, 2:01 PM EDT
The Cubs placed Emilio Bonifacio on the disabled list yesterday with an injury to his right rib cage and Patrick Mooney of CSNChicago.com reports that an MRI has confirmed that he’s dealing with an oblique strain.
Bonifacio suffered the injury when he grounded out to lead off Thursday’s game against the Pirates. There’s no timetable for his return, but oblique injuries are known to linger, so it wouldn’t be surprising if he needs to miss more that the minimum 15 days.
Bonifacio is batting .266/.311/.344 with one home run, 16 RBI, and 13 stolen bases over 61 games this season. The 29-year-old was one of the hottest hitters in the game in April, but he’s cooled off considerably over the past month and a half.
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 34
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 99
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 72
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 72
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 74
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)