Jun 14, 2014, 2:01 PM EDT
The Cubs placed Emilio Bonifacio on the disabled list yesterday with an injury to his right rib cage and Patrick Mooney of CSNChicago.com reports that an MRI has confirmed that he’s dealing with an oblique strain.
Bonifacio suffered the injury when he grounded out to lead off Thursday’s game against the Pirates. There’s no timetable for his return, but oblique injuries are known to linger, so it wouldn’t be surprising if he needs to miss more that the minimum 15 days.
Bonifacio is batting .266/.311/.344 with one home run, 16 RBI, and 13 stolen bases over 61 games this season. The 29-year-old was one of the hottest hitters in the game in April, but he’s cooled off considerably over the past month and a half.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 0
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 5
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 29
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 236
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 96
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (236)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)