Jun 14, 2014, 2:01 PM EST
The Cubs placed Emilio Bonifacio on the disabled list yesterday with an injury to his right rib cage and Patrick Mooney of CSNChicago.com reports that an MRI has confirmed that he’s dealing with an oblique strain.
Bonifacio suffered the injury when he grounded out to lead off Thursday’s game against the Pirates. There’s no timetable for his return, but oblique injuries are known to linger, so it wouldn’t be surprising if he needs to miss more that the minimum 15 days.
Bonifacio is batting .266/.311/.344 with one home run, 16 RBI, and 13 stolen bases over 61 games this season. The 29-year-old was one of the hottest hitters in the game in April, but he’s cooled off considerably over the past month and a half.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 12
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 32
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 103
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 45
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 16
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (106)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)