Jun 14, 2014, 2:01 PM EDT
The Cubs placed Emilio Bonifacio on the disabled list yesterday with an injury to his right rib cage and Patrick Mooney of CSNChicago.com reports that an MRI has confirmed that he’s dealing with an oblique strain.
Bonifacio suffered the injury when he grounded out to lead off Thursday’s game against the Pirates. There’s no timetable for his return, but oblique injuries are known to linger, so it wouldn’t be surprising if he needs to miss more that the minimum 15 days.
Bonifacio is batting .266/.311/.344 with one home run, 16 RBI, and 13 stolen bases over 61 games this season. The 29-year-old was one of the hottest hitters in the game in April, but he’s cooled off considerably over the past month and a half.
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 1
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 5
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 5
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 21
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 88
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 59
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (88)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)