Jun 14, 2014, 2:01 PM EST
The Cubs placed Emilio Bonifacio on the disabled list yesterday with an injury to his right rib cage and Patrick Mooney of CSNChicago.com reports that an MRI has confirmed that he’s dealing with an oblique strain.
Bonifacio suffered the injury when he grounded out to lead off Thursday’s game against the Pirates. There’s no timetable for his return, but oblique injuries are known to linger, so it wouldn’t be surprising if he needs to miss more that the minimum 15 days.
Bonifacio is batting .266/.311/.344 with one home run, 16 RBI, and 13 stolen bases over 61 games this season. The 29-year-old was one of the hottest hitters in the game in April, but he’s cooled off considerably over the past month and a half.
- MLB declares Hector Olivera a free agent 0
- Video: Watch Matt Harvey’s return to action against the Tigers 3
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 23
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 36
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 147
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (380)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (147)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)