Jun 14, 2014, 10:00 PM EST
Jimmy Rollins has long said that he wouldn’t consider waiving his 10-5 rights to veto a trade away from the Phillies. Back in March he softened that a bit, saying that if the team were going nowhere and were in last place, he’d consider it. Now that he has the team’s all-time hit record under his belt he was asked again, and once again, he seems like he’d OK a deal out of Philly. From Jim Salisbury at CSNPhilly.com:
Would he leave Philadelphia, the only big-league baseball home he has known?
Once again Saturday, he left the door open to the possibility.
“It really depends if everything is blown up,” he said. “Then you take that into consideration. If they blow everything up, then of course.”
So there’s that: Rollins has definitely softened his stance on being traded. He at least would listen to the possibility.
Rollins has taken a lot of heat from Philly fans for allegedly being selfish, with them claiming that his desire to break the Phillies’ all-time hit record put personal glory ahead of the team’s best interests. Setting aside the fact that Rollins has earned the right to play where he wants, how much do you wanna bet that the tune will soon change to “selfish Rollins only wants to play for a winner!”
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 22
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 76
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 48
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 18
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (76)