Jun 14, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
Jimmy Rollins has long said that he wouldn’t consider waiving his 10-5 rights to veto a trade away from the Phillies. Back in March he softened that a bit, saying that if the team were going nowhere and were in last place, he’d consider it. Now that he has the team’s all-time hit record under his belt he was asked again, and once again, he seems like he’d OK a deal out of Philly. From Jim Salisbury at CSNPhilly.com:
Would he leave Philadelphia, the only big-league baseball home he has known?
Once again Saturday, he left the door open to the possibility.
“It really depends if everything is blown up,” he said. “Then you take that into consideration. If they blow everything up, then of course.”
So there’s that: Rollins has definitely softened his stance on being traded. He at least would listen to the possibility.
Rollins has taken a lot of heat from Philly fans for allegedly being selfish, with them claiming that his desire to break the Phillies’ all-time hit record put personal glory ahead of the team’s best interests. Setting aside the fact that Rollins has earned the right to play where he wants, how much do you wanna bet that the tune will soon change to “selfish Rollins only wants to play for a winner!”
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 44
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 60
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 79
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 66
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)