Quote of the Day: Sandy Alderson encourages you to ignore the Internet and drink a beer

Jun 14, 2014, 4:35 PM EDT

Sandy Alderson AP

Mets general manager Sandy Alderson participated in a Q & A session with season ticket holders earlier today at Citi Field and was asked about speculation on Twitter and blogs regarding Daniel Murphy as a potential trade candidate. According to Adam Rubin of ESPN New York, Alderson downplayed the possibility of a trade while offering some words of wisdom about Internet trade speculation:

“Look, we have a real appreciation for Dan Murphy. Murphy is somebody who is an offensive player, who has really done some things this year to improve himself as an offensive player. His on-base percentage is much higher than it has been in recent years. He goes the other way. So there’s no question in terms of this ballpark, he’s been a plus. You know, we talk about all the time: We’re looking for players that are willing to play in New York or can play in New York. He hits in New York. He hits in this ballpark.

“He’s done a nice job getting himself to the point where he plays second base as well as he does. So, you know, I haven’t been on Twitter in a long time. So I know you haven’t been reading my tweets. And I don’t think you’ve been reading them from Terry [Collins] either. So, at this point, do what I do: Ignore Twitter and try to ignore the blogosphere and have a beer when you go home tonight.”

This explains why Alderson hasn’t responded to my tweets regarding trade ideas for Marlins’ outfielder Giancarlo Stanton. I see how it is. You are only hurting yourself, dude.

Alderson burst onto the Twitter scene with a series of entertaining jokes about the team’s finances in the spring of 2012, but the tweets have been few and far between since. His last tweet was in February of this year to encourage folks to vote for Mets captain David Wright as the “Face of MLB.”

1. nothanksimdriving123 - Jun 14, 2014 at 5:03 PM

Or one could suggest enjoying the content on reliable websites and also enjoy a beer, or two. But please do not do either while driving a car or piloting any sort of moving craft on the water or in the air. Nor while performing surgery on someone.

• buzz800 - Jun 14, 2014 at 5:36 PM

may as well have a couple of beers, there is no interests in taking on payroll. this has to be the worse since the Paysons as owners. Long ride to nowhere until the team is sold. Long time Met fan since 1965 but now I need to watch other teams to enjoy the sport with only a glance in the papers for the mets. We all know the results of the games/season for years to come.

2. tubbman27 - Jun 14, 2014 at 5:09 PM

well It finally happened everyone; last night I farted during sex.

3. proudlycanadian - Jun 14, 2014 at 5:16 PM

I have drunk some wine today and have looked at the internet.

• nbjays - Jun 14, 2014 at 6:07 PM

Don’t drink and surf.

• capsboy - Jun 14, 2014 at 11:24 PM

But if you must drink and surf, stay the f off of ebay.

4. motobus - Jun 14, 2014 at 5:18 PM

It really seems like most GMs are really outdated and have no grasp on the reality of baseball.

• dan1111 - Jun 14, 2014 at 5:59 PM

Yeah, how can anyone competently run a baseball team without listening to a bunch of nincompoops on the internet?

• motobus - Jun 14, 2014 at 7:29 PM

Being able to play in New York is a quantifiable thing!

• blacksables - Jun 14, 2014 at 5:59 PM

Yet a bunch of teams still make the playoffs every year. Must be dumb luck.

• motobus - Jun 14, 2014 at 7:26 PM

You’re right the number of teams making the playoffs changes based on the number of competent GMs…

• gloccamorra - Jun 14, 2014 at 8:30 PM

Come on! Sandy has a twitter account. He’s just stalling because he can’t remember his password.

5. unclemosesgreen - Jun 15, 2014 at 8:27 AM

For the love of Dog, it seems like good advice but I read it on the internet. So Sandy says I should ignore it.

6. dougwantstoramble - Jun 15, 2014 at 2:47 PM

Tubbman27, I also farted during sex last night. I’m very glad I was by myself…

7. zackd2 - Jun 15, 2014 at 3:44 PM

Speaking of David Wright, what a bad season. Almost Derek Jeter bat, but 1% of the media jokes

Three legends off to Cooperstown