Jun 14, 2014, 12:55 PM EDT
With 25 teams within five games of a playoff spot, the number of sellers before the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline will likely be limited. The Cubs are one of the obvious ones and they are already talking about potential trades.
Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago Sun-Times reports that the Cubs have had trade talks with multiple teams regarding Jeff Samardzija and Jason Hammel. Offers have already been made by two teams, with the Braves, Mariners, and Blue Jays among those who are the most interested. One major league source told Wittenmyer that he expects Hammel to end up in Seattle.
Samardzija has a 2.77 ERA over 14 starts this season and figures to be one of the top names available this summer. The 29-year-old right-hander is due to become a free agent after the 2015 season. Hammel won’t cost as much as Samardzija, but he should generate more interest since he won’t cost as much in a trade. Coming off a disappointing 2013, the 31-year-old owns a 2.81 ERA and 76/18 K/BB ratio in 83 1/3 innings over 13 starts this season. He’s owed a little over $3 million for the rest of the season and will be a free agent this winter.
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 0
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 3
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 11
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 49
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 30
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 18
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 14
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)