Jun 14, 2014, 8:55 AM EDT
Jordan Zimmermann was great for the Nationals last night, but Lance Lynn was just a little bit better. Lynn tossed eight scoreless innings while Matt Adams homered in his return from the disabled list as the Cardinals cooled down the Nationals with a 1-0 victory at Busch Stadium in St. Louis.
Lynn retired his first 16 batters until Jose Lobaton singled with one out in the sixth inning. He ended up giving up just two hits in all while walking none and striking out eight. Trevor Rosenthal struck out three in the ninth inning and worked around a two-out error from Kolten Wong to notch the save.
As for Zimmerman, he threw his second straight complete game in the tough-luck loss. Amazingly, he needed just 76 pitches to complete his eight innings of work. Per MLB.com, that’s the fewest pitches thrown in a complete game since Aaron Cook threw 74 in a nine-inning complete game for the Rockies on July 25, 2007. The all-time record belongs to Jose Bautista — no, not that Jose Bautista — who threw a 70-pitch complete game over eight innings for the Orioles in a loss on September 3, 1988.
Your Friday box scores:
Pirates 8, Marlins 6 (13 innings)
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 75
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 77
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 102
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (103)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (102)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)
- Jonathan Papelbon blows save, gets ejected for making rude gesture at booing crowd (77)