Jun 14, 2014, 9:31 AM EDT
Rookie outfielder Gregory Polanco played hero for the Pirates last night and made some history along the way.
Playing in just his fourth major league game, Polanco went 5-for-7 with a go-ahead two run homer and three runs scored in an 8-6 win over the Marlins in 13 innings. He had singles in the first, fifth, sixth, and eighth innings before going deep in the 13th. Check out the video of his first major league home run below:
OK, so here’s the history part. According to the Elias Sports Bureau, Polanco collected five hits and a home run in a game quicker than any player in the modern era (since 1900). Mike Lansing was the previous record-holder, as he had five hits and a home run in his fifth major league game in 1993. Meanwhile, Polanco is the first player with a five-hit game within the first four games of his career since Cecil Travis did it for the Washington Senators in his major league debut back on May 16, 1933. We’re talking about 81 years, folks.
While it’s still fair to ask if the Pirates should have considered calling him up sooner, he’s been worth the wait so far.
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 2
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 46
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 25
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 37
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 7
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (105)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)