Jun 14, 2014, 5:12 PM EDT
After tying Hall of Famer Mike Schmidt for the Phillies’ all-time hit record last night, Jimmy Rollins singled to right field off Cubs right-hander in the fifth inning this afternoon to stand alone in franchise history with the 2,235th hit of his career.
The game was temporarily halted at Citizens Bank Park to acknowledge Rollins’ accomplishment. Fireworks went off at the stadium as Rollins was congratulated by Schmidt and his teammates. There hasn’t been much for Phillies fans to cheer about this year, but it was a very cool moment.
You can watch video of the hit and the celebration below:
Read more coverage of Rollins’ record and a look back at some of his “greatest hits” via Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com.
Today is about celebrating an awesome benchmark for Rollins, but the trade talk figures to pick up now that the record is out of the way. Of course, Rollins has 10-and-5 rights, which means that he can control his own destiny. He’s owed about $6 million for the rest of the season while his contract includes a vesting option for 2015.
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 4
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 25
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 219
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (224)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (95)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (85)