Jun 14, 2014, 5:12 PM EST
After tying Hall of Famer Mike Schmidt for the Phillies’ all-time hit record last night, Jimmy Rollins singled to right field off Cubs right-hander in the fifth inning this afternoon to stand alone in franchise history with the 2,235th hit of his career.
The game was temporarily halted at Citizens Bank Park to acknowledge Rollins’ accomplishment. Fireworks went off at the stadium as Rollins was congratulated by Schmidt and his teammates. There hasn’t been much for Phillies fans to cheer about this year, but it was a very cool moment.
You can watch video of the hit and the celebration below:
Read more coverage of Rollins’ record and a look back at some of his “greatest hits” via Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com.
Today is about celebrating an awesome benchmark for Rollins, but the trade talk figures to pick up now that the record is out of the way. Of course, Rollins has 10-and-5 rights, which means that he can control his own destiny. He’s owed about $6 million for the rest of the season while his contract includes a vesting option for 2015.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 25
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 80
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 14
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 143
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 19
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)