Jun 15, 2014, 11:54 AM EDT
Veras was released by the Cubs last Tuesday after allowing 12 earned runs in just 13 1/3 innings. He opened the 2014 season as the team’s closer but blew the two save chances he was given. Hector Rondon is now saving games for Chicago.
The Cubs are still on the hook for the remainder of the 33-year-old right-hander’s $4 million salary.
Houston will pay Veras the major league minimum. He also pitched for the ‘Stros in 2013.
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 12
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 157
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 29
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 108
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39