Jun 15, 2014, 11:54 AM EST
Veras was released by the Cubs last Tuesday after allowing 12 earned runs in just 13 1/3 innings. He opened the 2014 season as the team’s closer but blew the two save chances he was given. Hector Rondon is now saving games for Chicago.
The Cubs are still on the hook for the remainder of the 33-year-old right-hander’s $4 million salary.
Houston will pay Veras the major league minimum. He also pitched for the ‘Stros in 2013.
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 0
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 54
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27