Jun 15, 2014, 1:03 PM EDT
Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago Sun-Times reported Saturday afternoon that the Cubs have already been in trade talks with multiple teams about ace right-hander Jeff Samardzija. Some of those calls have apparently come from San Francisco.
According to USA Today‘s Bob Nightengale, the Giants are “showing strong interest” in Samardzija, who owns a fantastic 2.77 ERA, 1.176 WHIP, and 82 strikeouts through 92 innings (14 starts) this season. Nightengale also lists the Yankees, Orioles, Angels, Red Sox, and Blue Jays as potential suitors.
The 29-year-old former Notre Dame wideout is making $5.35 million this season in his second year of salary arbitration. He is currently scheduled to become a free agent following the 2015 campaign.
The Cubs obviously want prospects in return, with a likely focus on young pitching.
UPDATE, 1:24 p.m. ET: The Giants are denying that they have interest …
I’ve heard the exact opposite than Nightengale about Samardzija, that barring injury #sfgiants have no plans to adjust rotation.
— Henry Schulman (@hankschulman) June 15, 2014
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 50
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 62
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 20
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 31
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)