Matt Adams celebrates Father’s Day in style

Jun 15, 2014, 8:40 PM EDT

Matt Adams Matt Adams

Matt Adams isn’t rusty since returning from the disabled list after suffering a strained left calf on May 29. The first baseman has homered in all three games since he returned, helping the Cardinals sweep the Nationals in a three-game set.

Adams hit a solo shot off of Jordan Zimmermann in the second inning on Friday, a solo shot off of Stephen Strasburg in the seventh inning on Saturday, and a two-run homer off of Doug Fister in the second inning on Sunday afternoon. Even better? Adams’ father was in attendance for all three home runs, including the latest one on Father’s Day.

Here’s Sunday’s blast:

1. dakotah55 - Jun 15, 2014 at 10:11 PM

I guess this puts that “hottest team in MLB” narrative to rest.

• perryt200 - Jun 16, 2014 at 12:46 AM

Hopefully so, but I think this was just as strange an ending as Choate getting the win last night on just a single pitch thrown.

If I got this right it is easy to see Matheny doesn’t want to use Rosenthal after 2 days of hard 9th innings with a 5-1 lead, so he brings in Freeman.

Freeman loads the bases with the tying run at the plate with 2 outs. Just can’t seem to get the last one out so they bring in Rosenthal.

Rosenthal walks the first batter making it 5-2, the run is charged to Freeman. It now becomes a save situations and Rosenthal gets the next batter to pop up in foul territory to Matt Adams to end the game. It kinda did make the sphincter tighten as the announcers kept saying the last batter had a home run off of Rosenthal.

And then Rosenthal picks up his 20th save.

That is just as silly as a one pitch win.

• SocraticGadfly - Jun 16, 2014 at 11:09 AM

And, to regular commenter whitefalcon, this could put the “Adams is below average” to rest. It probably won’t, but it could and it should.

• okwhitefalcon - Jun 16, 2014 at 11:58 AM

I think you may mean “regular commenter paperlions”.

I’m not on the Adams bashwagon although Ill refrain from anointing him the next Babe Ruth until he starts hitting left handers.

• SocraticGadfly - Jun 16, 2014 at 12:15 PM

My bad, you’re right. I don’t anoint him the next Ruth myself; I just point out that official stats say he’s an above-average 1B right now.

• stex52 - Jun 16, 2014 at 12:21 PM

I was on the bashwagon last week. Less so now, but he has stuff to prove. He had a good week end. But it was overdue, powerwise. And he needs to find a way to cope with lefties or he will be a platoon guy.

2. dcbear90 - Jun 16, 2014 at 7:57 AM

It was already a save situation when Rosenthal came in.

I’m just happy to see Handsome Mike divert from the script a little bit and not automatically put Rosenthal in just because it’s the ninth inning.

3. kycardsfan - Jun 16, 2014 at 8:10 AM

As I said in a post last week..

Matt Adams can flat out hit!

• stex52 - Jun 16, 2014 at 8:51 AM

I will concede defeat on that one. But I will also point out he is on my fantasy team, so it is okay that he showed some power.

As of last weekend, he had three homers. Because of his obvious splits problems, he needs to hit 20-25 homeruns to make him a worthwhile investment for the Cards. It would be even better if he could hit left handed pitching, but if he dials up the power that is a compensation.

• kycardsfan - Jun 16, 2014 at 9:34 AM

It looked like the ball was jumping off of his bat this weekend. Maybe that elbow that was giving him a little trouble earlier in the year is finally healed with that stint on the DL. The calf injury could have been a small blessing.

4. okwhitefalcon - Jun 16, 2014 at 10:43 AM

Adams had a great weekend for sure but I’d temper the prisoner of the moment enthusiasm until/if he starts having success against left handers…

Roster alert heads up for the faithful, expect Sugar Shane Robinson to get the recall as early as tomorrow.

They’re carrying 13 pitchers tonight in case Martinez blows up early so a move to reduce that is eminent.

Oh, and Oscar Taveras went 2-4 with a bomb yesterday in Memphis..

• SocraticGadfly - Jun 16, 2014 at 11:12 AM

Maybe, instead of the past, another potential for the future gets a call-up. We’ve not seen Piscotty yet.

• okwhitefalcon - Jun 16, 2014 at 11:28 AM

Piscotty’s not on the 40 man, not happening.

• SocraticGadfly - Jun 16, 2014 at 12:13 PM

I saw that, after I posted, that the Greenwood call-up filled out the 40-man. Of course, that’s current 40-man. There could be a DFA at some point.

• SocraticGadfly - Jun 16, 2014 at 1:39 PM

Or, if Joe Kelly’s “rehab” takes any longer, move him to the 60-day DL.

Does anyone want to win the NL wild card?
  1. M. Cuddyer (2869)