Jun 15, 2014, 8:58 AM EDT
Danny Duffy struck out nine batters over seven scoreless innings and the Kansas City offense rattled off nine runs on 16 hits Saturday in a 9-1 victory against the host White Sox. It was the sixth consecutive win for the Royals, who are now 9-3 in June and just a game-and-a-half back of the Tigers for first place in the American League Central.
Duffy, a 25-year-old former top prospect, opened the 2014 season with a 4.75 career ERA and 1.57 career WHIP in 157 1/3 major league innings. He boasts a 2.83 ERA and 1.11 WHIP in 54 frames this year.
The Royals will wrap up their three-game series in Chicago on Sunday afternoon and then head to Detroit for a massively-important four-game set.
Your box scores and recaps from Saturday:
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 92
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (110)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (92)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)