Jun 15, 2014, 10:05 PM EST
Yasiel Puig and his companion in throwing out base runners, Yoenis Cespedes have made baseball a lot of fun to watch lately. Puig showed off his well-respected cannon of an arm once again during Sunday afternoon’s series finale against the Diamondbacks.
With the bases empty and two outs in the top of the fifth inning, Diamondbacks outfielder Cody Ross dunked a weak line drive down the right field line, just inside the line in front of Yasiel Puig. The ball caromed towards the stands — and the ballboy — and Puig had to navigate an awkward bounce around the cluster of people in his vicinity. Puig barehanded the ball, then fired a cannon to shortstop Hanley Ramirez covering second base to nab Ross for the final out of the inning. Check it out.
We really need a throwing competition added to the All-Star Game festivities.
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 1
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 20
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 62
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 37
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)