Jun 16, 2014, 10:47 AM EDT
On the disabled list with right shoulder fatigue, Pirates right-hander Gerrit Cole threw a bullpen session Sunday and reported no problems.
Cole threw 34 pitches and said everything felt normal, so according to Bill Brink of the Pittsburgh Post Gazette he could rejoin the rotation within two weeks. Before that can happen he’ll need to advance to throwing a simulated game and, presumably, make at least one minor-league rehab start, so he’s not out of the woods yet.
Cole obviously won’t be ready to return when eligible to come off the disabled list Thursday, but for a young stud pitcher with shoulder problems the early news sounds positive. At age 23 the former No. 1 overall pick followed an impressive rookie season by picking up right where he left off, going 6-3 with a 3.64 ERA and 69/25 K/BB ratio in 77 innings.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (76)