Jun 16, 2014, 12:46 PM EDT
Joe Kelly‘s recovery from a hamstring injury has gone much more slowly than expected, but now it looks like the Cardinals right-hander is finally close to coming off the disabled list.
General manager John Mozeliak told Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post Dispatch that Kelly is likely “two or three weeks” away from returning, although that’s hardly set in stone given that he hasn’t even started a minor-league rehab assignment yet.
Kelly has thrived as a starter for the Cardinals, but he also has previous bullpen experience and manager Mike Matheny hinted that a return to relief work is possible if they want him back in a hurry rather than making him fully stretch out first.
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 2
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 30
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 4
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 12
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 101
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (118)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)