Jun 16, 2014, 12:46 PM EST
Joe Kelly‘s recovery from a hamstring injury has gone much more slowly than expected, but now it looks like the Cardinals right-hander is finally close to coming off the disabled list.
General manager John Mozeliak told Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post Dispatch that Kelly is likely “two or three weeks” away from returning, although that’s hardly set in stone given that he hasn’t even started a minor-league rehab assignment yet.
Kelly has thrived as a starter for the Cardinals, but he also has previous bullpen experience and manager Mike Matheny hinted that a return to relief work is possible if they want him back in a hurry rather than making him fully stretch out first.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (137)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)