Jun 16, 2014, 12:46 PM EDT
Joe Kelly‘s recovery from a hamstring injury has gone much more slowly than expected, but now it looks like the Cardinals right-hander is finally close to coming off the disabled list.
General manager John Mozeliak told Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post Dispatch that Kelly is likely “two or three weeks” away from returning, although that’s hardly set in stone given that he hasn’t even started a minor-league rehab assignment yet.
Kelly has thrived as a starter for the Cardinals, but he also has previous bullpen experience and manager Mike Matheny hinted that a return to relief work is possible if they want him back in a hurry rather than making him fully stretch out first.
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 17
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 25
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 105
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8