Jun 16, 2014, 12:46 PM EDT
Joe Kelly‘s recovery from a hamstring injury has gone much more slowly than expected, but now it looks like the Cardinals right-hander is finally close to coming off the disabled list.
General manager John Mozeliak told Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post Dispatch that Kelly is likely “two or three weeks” away from returning, although that’s hardly set in stone given that he hasn’t even started a minor-league rehab assignment yet.
Kelly has thrived as a starter for the Cardinals, but he also has previous bullpen experience and manager Mike Matheny hinted that a return to relief work is possible if they want him back in a hurry rather than making him fully stretch out first.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 0
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 6
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 24
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (114)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)