Jun 16, 2014, 8:18 AM EDT
Logan Morrison popped out with runners on base in the fifth inning of yesterday’s M’s-Rangers game. He got mad at himself. Then he got mad at his bat. Specifically, he slammed the bat against the dugout wall. The bat shattered and a piece of it flew back at him, hitting him above the eye. He had to leave the game and required five stitches. John Buck — who has never played first base before — had to take over.
Not the smartest and most mature move of all time, and Morrison seemed to know it after the game. From Ryan Divish of the Seattle Times:
“Obviously I acted like a 3-year-old,” he said. “I apologized to my teammates. I’m about to go apologize to Mac. I can’t do that. I didn’t want to come out of the game. They saw me gushing blood from my eyebrow and they took me out. I’m embarrassed. No matter how bad I’m playing, I can’t do that . . . I usually don’t snap,” he said. “I usually don’t play this bad, either. But I usually don’t snap.”
I suppose that’s better than punching a concrete wall and breaking your hand. Which several players have done in the past.
Morrison is, presumably, day-to-day.
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 3
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 39
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 23
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (109)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)