Jun 16, 2014, 8:18 AM EDT
Logan Morrison popped out with runners on base in the fifth inning of yesterday’s M’s-Rangers game. He got mad at himself. Then he got mad at his bat. Specifically, he slammed the bat against the dugout wall. The bat shattered and a piece of it flew back at him, hitting him above the eye. He had to leave the game and required five stitches. John Buck — who has never played first base before — had to take over.
Not the smartest and most mature move of all time, and Morrison seemed to know it after the game. From Ryan Divish of the Seattle Times:
“Obviously I acted like a 3-year-old,” he said. “I apologized to my teammates. I’m about to go apologize to Mac. I can’t do that. I didn’t want to come out of the game. They saw me gushing blood from my eyebrow and they took me out. I’m embarrassed. No matter how bad I’m playing, I can’t do that . . . I usually don’t snap,” he said. “I usually don’t play this bad, either. But I usually don’t snap.”
I suppose that’s better than punching a concrete wall and breaking your hand. Which several players have done in the past.
Morrison is, presumably, day-to-day.
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 4
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 12
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- 2015 Preview: New York Yankees 63
- 2015 Preview: Cleveland Indians 10
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (103)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)