Logan Morrison got into a fight with a baseball bat. The bat won.

Jun 16, 2014, 8:18 AM EDT

Screen Shot 2014-06-16 at 8.16.57 AM AP

Logan Morrison popped out with runners on base in the fifth inning of yesterday’s M’s-Rangers game. He got mad at himself. Then he got mad at his bat. Specifically, he slammed the bat against the dugout wall. The bat shattered and a piece of it flew back at him, hitting him above the eye. He had to leave the game and required five stitches. John Buck — who has never played first base before — had to take over.

Not the smartest and most mature move of all time, and Morrison seemed to know it after the game. From Ryan Divish of the Seattle Times:

“Obviously I acted like a 3-year-old,” he said. “I apologized to my teammates. I’m about to go apologize to Mac. I can’t do that. I didn’t want to come out of the game. They saw me gushing blood from my eyebrow and they took me out. I’m embarrassed. No matter how bad I’m playing, I can’t do that . . . I usually don’t snap,” he said. “I usually don’t play this bad, either. But I usually don’t snap.”

I suppose that’s better than punching a concrete wall and breaking your hand. Which several players have done in the past.

Morrison is, presumably, day-to-day.

1. renaado - Jun 16, 2014 at 8:24 AM

Note: Never break your own Baseball bat “in the dugout” ever again.

• altonenb - Jun 16, 2014 at 8:52 AM

Lucky. He could have poked an eye out! Or the bat could’ve bounced back and hit him in the head. Then again, maybe it’s been doing that with him for a while.

2. Rich Stowe - Jun 16, 2014 at 8:29 AM

this is why you always fight the Gatorade cooler and not the wall…the wall always wins while the cooler always loses

• nbjays - Jun 16, 2014 at 9:21 AM

Unless you are Big Papi, then you fight the bullpen phone instead.

• sabatimus - Jun 16, 2014 at 4:24 PM

Which remains the stupidest thing I’ve ever seen him do, including the time he got ejected and threw a bunch of bats onto the field.

3. tfbuckfutter - Jun 16, 2014 at 8:36 AM

That’s actually a really great quote. Sounds sincere and self aware.

Much better than “I play with so much emotion and I’m so fiery because I care about winning so much that I just could no longer wrangle the competitive beast that lives inside me.”

• historiophiliac - Jun 16, 2014 at 10:54 AM

You’re confused. That’s the excuse for tweeting insults at your opponent’s wife.

• chinahand11 - Jun 16, 2014 at 3:09 PM

Lord that’s funny just thinking about. Some guy sitting in the dugout with a smirk, tweeting the opponent’s third baseman’s wife, alternately insulting her and telling her about her hubby’s amorous adventures on road trips.

• historiophiliac - Jun 16, 2014 at 3:11 PM

It’s not funny. It’s a Matt Garza move.

4. aresachaela - Jun 16, 2014 at 8:40 AM

Good thing no eye surgery needed.

/shivers…

5. whatacrocker - Jun 16, 2014 at 8:58 AM

He should have tried to blame one of the icicles hanging from the roof.

6. ripdipbob - Jun 16, 2014 at 9:08 AM

I wonder if he tweeted about it…things that make you go hmmm?

• jwbiii - Jun 16, 2014 at 9:30 AM

No tweets in about three weeks.

7. mikhelb - Jun 16, 2014 at 9:18 AM

a few years ago happened something similar but the player went to play with blood still in his uniform, but i can not remember who it was… then there were at least a couple of ocasions Bo’s bat would not break and the guy just looked stupid by trying to break a bat that was not already cracked

• tedwmoore - Jun 16, 2014 at 9:25 AM

Bo Jackson never looked stupid. You need to apologize.

8. nbjays - Jun 16, 2014 at 9:49 AM

Not surprised that Tweeter’s bat beat him up. It is much stronger, and apparently much smarter than he is.

9. blabidibla - Jun 16, 2014 at 10:35 AM

Odd, Morrison has always acted with such forethought and careful consideration of his actions before.

10. Old Gator - Jun 16, 2014 at 11:01 AM

There were a number of inaccuracies in Tweeter’s mea pulpa, to wit:

1. “Obviously I acted like a 3-year-old.” No, he acted like a hatchling praying mantis.

2. “I didn’t want to come out of the game.” Yes, he did – there were hundreds and hundreds of women in the stands, with hundreds of pairs of nipples…unblinking…staring at him. He can’t handle that.

3. “I usually don’t play this bad, either.” Au contraire, yes you do.

11. miguelcairo - Jun 16, 2014 at 2:23 PM

Kevin Brown would be proud.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3759)