Jun 16, 2014, 5:28 PM EST
Reports last week suggested that the Orioles were expecting the worst with Matt Wieters‘ elbow injury and sure enough the team just announced that the catcher will undergo season-ending Tommy John surgery.
The recovery time for Tommy John surgery is generally much shorter for position players than for pitchers, but that isn’t as clear cut for catchers and at the very least Wieters is looking at 6-9 months on the sidelines.
Wieters was off to a very good start before being shut down, hitting .308 with five homers and an .839 OPS in 26 games. He’s never cracked an .800 OPS in a season previously, so for Wieters to provide big-time value to the Orioles he’ll need to make a full recovery and get back behind the plate on a regular basis.
Baltimore acquired veteran catcher Nick Hundley from San Diego when Wieters went down, so he figures to see most of the action for the remainder of the season and could be an option for the Orioles in 2015 as well depending on Wieters’ recovery status heading into his final season of pre-free agency team control.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 163
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (163)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)