Jun 16, 2014, 5:03 PM EST
Three strikes with a drug of abuse and you’re out for 100 games:
The Office of the Commissioner of Baseball announced today that Boston Red Sox Minor League left-handed pitcher Miguel Pena has received a 100-game suspension without pay after a third positive test for a drug of abuse in violation of the Minor League Drug Prevention and Treatment Program.
The suspension of Pena, who is currently on the roster of the Double-A Portland Sea Dogs of the Eastern League, is effective immediately.
Pena, a starter mostly, has a career minor league ERA of 4.16 and is posting a 6.41 ERA this year. And now things have gone from bad to worse.
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 0
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 54
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27