Jun 16, 2014, 9:18 AM EST
The Braves called up second baseman Tommy La Stella on May 28. He’s played in 16 games and has had 56 at bats. He has had 23 hits and has walked seven times. The Braves started the season with Dan Uggla. He’s played in 40 games and has had 121 at bats. He has 20 hits and nine walks.
That sound you hear is someone getting the DFA papers for Uggla ready. They may not be used today and may not be used tomorrow, but they’re gonna be in that folder Frank Wren’s assistant keeps on his or her desk so they’re ready at a moment’s notice.
La Stella was fantastic in Sunday’s 6-3 Braves victory over the Angels, going 3 for 3 with a double, a walk and a pair of RBI, reaching base in all four of his plate appearances. His line for the season so far is .411/.476/.446. It’d be folly to think that he’s not going to start for the rest of the season. I mean, even if he falls off a cliff — and yes, regression is due — the bottom of that chasm isn’t likely to be all that worse than what Uggla is doing, right?
- MLB declares Hector Olivera a free agent 0
- Video: Watch Matt Harvey’s return to action against the Tigers 3
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 23
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 36
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 147
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (380)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (147)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)