Jun 16, 2014, 9:18 AM EST
The Braves called up second baseman Tommy La Stella on May 28. He’s played in 16 games and has had 56 at bats. He has had 23 hits and has walked seven times. The Braves started the season with Dan Uggla. He’s played in 40 games and has had 121 at bats. He has 20 hits and nine walks.
That sound you hear is someone getting the DFA papers for Uggla ready. They may not be used today and may not be used tomorrow, but they’re gonna be in that folder Frank Wren’s assistant keeps on his or her desk so they’re ready at a moment’s notice.
La Stella was fantastic in Sunday’s 6-3 Braves victory over the Angels, going 3 for 3 with a double, a walk and a pair of RBI, reaching base in all four of his plate appearances. His line for the season so far is .411/.476/.446. It’d be folly to think that he’s not going to start for the rest of the season. I mean, even if he falls off a cliff — and yes, regression is due — the bottom of that chasm isn’t likely to be all that worse than what Uggla is doing, right?
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 77
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 45
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 26
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 144
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)