Jun 16, 2014, 9:18 AM EDT
The Braves called up second baseman Tommy La Stella on May 28. He’s played in 16 games and has had 56 at bats. He has had 23 hits and has walked seven times. The Braves started the season with Dan Uggla. He’s played in 40 games and has had 121 at bats. He has 20 hits and nine walks.
That sound you hear is someone getting the DFA papers for Uggla ready. They may not be used today and may not be used tomorrow, but they’re gonna be in that folder Frank Wren’s assistant keeps on his or her desk so they’re ready at a moment’s notice.
La Stella was fantastic in Sunday’s 6-3 Braves victory over the Angels, going 3 for 3 with a double, a walk and a pair of RBI, reaching base in all four of his plate appearances. His line for the season so far is .411/.476/.446. It’d be folly to think that he’s not going to start for the rest of the season. I mean, even if he falls off a cliff — and yes, regression is due — the bottom of that chasm isn’t likely to be all that worse than what Uggla is doing, right?
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 8
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 4
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 14
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 62
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 49
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)