Jun 16, 2014, 9:18 AM EDT
The Braves called up second baseman Tommy La Stella on May 28. He’s played in 16 games and has had 56 at bats. He has had 23 hits and has walked seven times. The Braves started the season with Dan Uggla. He’s played in 40 games and has had 121 at bats. He has 20 hits and nine walks.
That sound you hear is someone getting the DFA papers for Uggla ready. They may not be used today and may not be used tomorrow, but they’re gonna be in that folder Frank Wren’s assistant keeps on his or her desk so they’re ready at a moment’s notice.
La Stella was fantastic in Sunday’s 6-3 Braves victory over the Angels, going 3 for 3 with a double, a walk and a pair of RBI, reaching base in all four of his plate appearances. His line for the season so far is .411/.476/.446. It’d be folly to think that he’s not going to start for the rest of the season. I mean, even if he falls off a cliff — and yes, regression is due — the bottom of that chasm isn’t likely to be all that worse than what Uggla is doing, right?
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 25
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 2
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 12
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 142
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)