Jun 16, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
As soon as the news broke about the passing of the great Tony Gwynn a tremendous outpouring of emotion and admiration flooded baseball’s corner of the Internet. Here is a sampling of some of the sentiment from the past few minutes:
We are terribly sad to say goodbye to our teammate, our friend and a legend, Tony Gwynn. Rest in peace, Mr. Padre.
— San Diego Padres (@Padres) June 16, 2014
So sad to hear of Tony Gwynns passing, great player, great man… Prayers to his family — Tom Glavine (@Tom_Glavine) June 16, 2014
We talked hitting every time I saw him.Questions after questions.A true friend. So sad to hear the passing of Tony Gwynn. May he RIP.
Whenever anyone asked about my favorite player I covered on a beat, the answer was always, always Tony Gwynn..can’t believe he’s gone… — Bill Plaschke (@BillPlaschke) June 16, 2014
Tony Gwynn’s locker was like your favorite neighborhood grocery, everyone welcome, everyone treated as an equal… — Bill Plaschke (@BillPlaschke) June 16, 2014
Tony Gwynn struck out 434 times over 9,288 career at-bats. That is not a misprint. — Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) June 16, 2014
Tony Gwynn’s career highs: Steals 56 Doubles 49 Strikeouts 40 — Dan McLaughlin (@baseballcrank) June 16, 2014
In his 20-year career, Tony Gwynn compiled more plate appearances vs. Greg Maddux than any other pitcher (107). Not once did he strike out.
By my initial count, Tony Gwynn batted against five current HOF pitchers. Against them: 99 for 300, 17 2B, 2 3B, 2 HR, 27 RBI, and 16 Ks.
— Donnie Collins (@RailRidersTT) June 16, 2014
— MLB (@MLB) June 16, 2014
Tony Gwynn hit .444 with the bases loaded in his career. No mercy. — Tom Haberstroh (@tomhaberstroh) June 16, 2014
RIP Tony Gwynn. Best pure hitter of our generation. No debate. — Kevin Goldstein (@Kevin_Goldstein) June 16, 2014
RIP Tony Gwynn you break my heart bubba I love you forever
— The Iron Sheik (@the_ironsheik) June 16, 2014
With all San Diego, we mourn loss of Padre great Tony Gwynn. Jersey on County bldg. for ’07 Hall of Fame induction: pic.twitter.com/KlWTziEfBL
— SanDiegoCounty (@SanDiegoCounty) June 16, 2014
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 93
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 66
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 51
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 104
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (104)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (93)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)