Jun 16, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
As soon as the news broke about the passing of the great Tony Gwynn a tremendous outpouring of emotion and admiration flooded baseball’s corner of the Internet. Here is a sampling of some of the sentiment from the past few minutes:
We are terribly sad to say goodbye to our teammate, our friend and a legend, Tony Gwynn. Rest in peace, Mr. Padre.
— San Diego Padres (@Padres) June 16, 2014
So sad to hear of Tony Gwynns passing, great player, great man… Prayers to his family — Tom Glavine (@Tom_Glavine) June 16, 2014
We talked hitting every time I saw him.Questions after questions.A true friend. So sad to hear the passing of Tony Gwynn. May he RIP.
Whenever anyone asked about my favorite player I covered on a beat, the answer was always, always Tony Gwynn..can’t believe he’s gone… — Bill Plaschke (@BillPlaschke) June 16, 2014
Tony Gwynn’s locker was like your favorite neighborhood grocery, everyone welcome, everyone treated as an equal… — Bill Plaschke (@BillPlaschke) June 16, 2014
Tony Gwynn struck out 434 times over 9,288 career at-bats. That is not a misprint. — Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) June 16, 2014
Tony Gwynn’s career highs: Steals 56 Doubles 49 Strikeouts 40 — Dan McLaughlin (@baseballcrank) June 16, 2014
In his 20-year career, Tony Gwynn compiled more plate appearances vs. Greg Maddux than any other pitcher (107). Not once did he strike out.
By my initial count, Tony Gwynn batted against five current HOF pitchers. Against them: 99 for 300, 17 2B, 2 3B, 2 HR, 27 RBI, and 16 Ks.
— Donnie Collins (@RailRidersTT) June 16, 2014
— MLB (@MLB) June 16, 2014
Tony Gwynn hit .444 with the bases loaded in his career. No mercy. — Tom Haberstroh (@tomhaberstroh) June 16, 2014
RIP Tony Gwynn. Best pure hitter of our generation. No debate. — Kevin Goldstein (@Kevin_Goldstein) June 16, 2014
RIP Tony Gwynn you break my heart bubba I love you forever
— The Iron Sheik (@the_ironsheik) June 16, 2014
With all San Diego, we mourn loss of Padre great Tony Gwynn. Jersey on County bldg. for ’07 Hall of Fame induction: pic.twitter.com/KlWTziEfBL
— SanDiegoCounty (@SanDiegoCounty) June 16, 2014
- The Cubs to announce the hiring of Joe Maddon on Monday 38
- Cubs fire manager Rick Renteria, clear way for Joe Maddon 69
- HardballTalk’s Top 150 Free Agents for 2015 24
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game 121
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 31
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 108
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 19
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 83
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (282)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game (132)
- Fox’s World Series broadcast gets a low grade from The New York Times (111)