Jun 16, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
As soon as the news broke about the passing of the great Tony Gwynn a tremendous outpouring of emotion and admiration flooded baseball’s corner of the Internet. Here is a sampling of some of the sentiment from the past few minutes:
We are terribly sad to say goodbye to our teammate, our friend and a legend, Tony Gwynn. Rest in peace, Mr. Padre.
— San Diego Padres (@Padres) June 16, 2014
So sad to hear of Tony Gwynns passing, great player, great man… Prayers to his family — Tom Glavine (@Tom_Glavine) June 16, 2014
We talked hitting every time I saw him.Questions after questions.A true friend. So sad to hear the passing of Tony Gwynn. May he RIP.
Whenever anyone asked about my favorite player I covered on a beat, the answer was always, always Tony Gwynn..can’t believe he’s gone… — Bill Plaschke (@BillPlaschke) June 16, 2014
Tony Gwynn’s locker was like your favorite neighborhood grocery, everyone welcome, everyone treated as an equal… — Bill Plaschke (@BillPlaschke) June 16, 2014
Tony Gwynn struck out 434 times over 9,288 career at-bats. That is not a misprint. — Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) June 16, 2014
Tony Gwynn’s career highs: Steals 56 Doubles 49 Strikeouts 40 — Dan McLaughlin (@baseballcrank) June 16, 2014
In his 20-year career, Tony Gwynn compiled more plate appearances vs. Greg Maddux than any other pitcher (107). Not once did he strike out.
By my initial count, Tony Gwynn batted against five current HOF pitchers. Against them: 99 for 300, 17 2B, 2 3B, 2 HR, 27 RBI, and 16 Ks.
— Donnie Collins (@RailRidersTT) June 16, 2014
— MLB (@MLB) June 16, 2014
Tony Gwynn hit .444 with the bases loaded in his career. No mercy. — Tom Haberstroh (@tomhaberstroh) June 16, 2014
RIP Tony Gwynn. Best pure hitter of our generation. No debate. — Kevin Goldstein (@Kevin_Goldstein) June 16, 2014
RIP Tony Gwynn you break my heart bubba I love you forever
— The Iron Sheik (@the_ironsheik) June 16, 2014
With all San Diego, we mourn loss of Padre great Tony Gwynn. Jersey on County bldg. for ’07 Hall of Fame induction: pic.twitter.com/KlWTziEfBL
— SanDiegoCounty (@SanDiegoCounty) June 16, 2014
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 0
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 27
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 4
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 101
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (118)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)