Addison Reed quit using smokeless tobacco in the wake of Tony Gwynn’s death

Jun 17, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT

Addison Reed Diamondbacks AP

Jack Magruder of Fox Sports Arizona spoke with several Diamondbacks players and officials whose lives intersected with Tony Gwynn’s. Many of them were what you might expect — remembrances of his character and skill. Addison Reed — who played for Gwynn at San Diego State — had a more practical and profound reaction:

Gwynn died of mouth cancer that he firmly believed was caused by the tobacco he stashed in his right side of his cheek.

He would have applauded Reed on Monday.

Reed said when he walked into the clubhouse the first thing he did was take the seven cans of chewing tobacco in his locker and throw them out. First he opened them, and then he dumped the tobacco in the trash can. It may have been the most fitting tribute.

Here’s hoping this becomes a trend.

Bob Klapisch: Chewing tobacco is a performance enhancing drug, gives players an edge

1. adenzeno - Jun 17, 2014 at 3:02 PM

VERY hard to stop using..I tried a few times until I finally did..since Aug1 1998

• drewy44 - Jun 17, 2014 at 3:56 PM

I quit 5 years ago. The hardest thing I’ve ever done. The beast grips you.

Since then, I’ve easily ate my weight in Jolly Ranchers, Trident gum and Bigs sunflower seeds. (Bigs has ruined me for every other seed brand).

2. tfbuckfutter - Jun 17, 2014 at 3:06 PM

I think “quitting” takes more than a day.

Good luck to him though, and to all the others who choose life over….bad breath, I guess, most of all.

• gothapotamus90210 - Jun 17, 2014 at 9:53 PM

Physiologically, if you make it through 3 days without nicotine, the you are through withdrawal. But it’s a really rough three days. Plus, it’s a big psychological thing with the oral fixation. I blow through 40 pieces of Trident per day.

• gothapotamus90210 - Jun 17, 2014 at 9:54 PM

Edit: “you are through withdrawal” … no “the”

3. pjmitch - Jun 17, 2014 at 3:07 PM

Good for anyone who takes this same action!!!

Seeing your Grandkids get married and have kids should be a goal of everyone

4. sandpiperair - Jun 17, 2014 at 3:13 PM

“Well, there goes his season!”
    -Josh Hamilton

5. yahmule - Jun 17, 2014 at 3:22 PM

MLB really needs to be proactive here and make it known that they’re going to do everything in their power to help individuals quit.

• tfbuckfutter - Jun 17, 2014 at 3:37 PM

What could MLB do?

Make a rule like “You’re not allowed to use tobacco while you’re on the job we pay you for”?

No company could do that. That’s why everyone smokes all the time at their desk at work like in the 1940s.

• pjmitch - Jun 17, 2014 at 4:10 PM

You work some place that allows you to smoke at your desk??

• tfbuckfutter - Jun 17, 2014 at 4:15 PM

At the sarcasm factory I work at we’re allowed to drink at work and have sex with the boss’ wife while he chain smokes at his desk. Also, they provide us adequate healthcare at a reasonably cost.

Is it not that way everywhere?

• [citation needed] fka COPO - Jun 17, 2014 at 4:16 PM

There’s plenty of things they could do besides banning it. Set up help centers? Donate money to cancer research? Donate money to organizations that help you quit tobacco?

• sportsfan18 - Jun 17, 2014 at 5:32 PM

tfbuckfutter

NO, we don’t all work at the white house like you do…

• hittfamily - Jun 17, 2014 at 6:34 PM

Hey broad. Be a dollface, and get some lettuce out of my billfold, take the Desoto down to the pharmacy and get me some Lucky Strikes. Now scram.

• tfbuckfutter - Jun 17, 2014 at 6:40 PM

“Haha, I know….I’ll suggest he has a cushy high ranking government job! That’ll be an epic burn!”

• Shayna - Jun 17, 2014 at 4:35 PM

How about MLB being as ferocious about policing their goodwill, trademarks, and symbols against the tobacco industry as they are against everyone else? Sue the pants off anyone who advertises to suggest any association between tobacco and the big leagues.

Discipline players who endorse or appear in ads for any tobacco products. Include a contract clause extending the ban for 20 years after you leave the show.

Prohibit the use of tobacco anywhere in the park, including the locker rooms. Skydome is already a smoke-free facility. Let’s make it a chew-free facility too.

6. asimonetti88 - Jun 17, 2014 at 4:32 PM

I went from a heavy smoker to a moderate smoker a few years ago, but Tony Gwynn’s death has helped me realize I need to completely kick the habit once and for all. I am taking proactive steps, and I hope that I can learn from Tony and keep it up.

• raysfan1 - Jun 17, 2014 at 7:24 PM

I rooting for you.

7. yankeessuckameanone - Jun 17, 2014 at 4:33 PM

Tobacco will be the first to go followed by seeds and then gum. Those darn performance enhancing supplements are giving players the edge. This is just another great example of humans being reactive to a loss when someone important dies.

• sportsfan18 - Jun 17, 2014 at 5:36 PM

Uh, using tobacco as it’s intended to be used, kills people (even non-smokers via 2nd hand smoke as tens of thousands die each year from 2nd hand smoke).

The gum and seeds do not kill people…

Try again.

• hittfamily - Jun 17, 2014 at 6:55 PM

I knew a guy who swallowed his gum for 10 years. He died of a blocked colon, likely caused by a 30 pound lump of Big League Chew found in his anus.

• yahmule - Jun 17, 2014 at 7:22 PM

Another conservative who’s just tired of people telling him what to do, dammit. You know, the kind of guy who has never dipped, but he decries the loss of freedoms just the same. Such a shame that these people’s brains will never evolve past the fight-or-flight stage.

8. yankeessuckameanone - Jun 17, 2014 at 8:08 PM

You’re an idiot sportsfan 18. You ever heard of sarcasm or is your head so far you up you a–?

9. dodgeblue - Jun 17, 2014 at 9:13 PM

Chewed for 30 years, moderately, until I gave it up in January. Had a throat condition which made me slightly more at risk of throat cancer. That was enough of a wake up call. My four year old helped as well.

10. beastmode5150 - Jun 18, 2014 at 1:31 AM

Easy to quit if you have willpower and pride. I chewed a can a day of Copenhagen for 10 years and quit cold turkey first time. Grow a pair .

• dodgeblue - Jun 18, 2014 at 1:33 AM

Right on, been there. Agreed!

• stoutfiles - Jun 18, 2014 at 7:55 AM

Wow! You must be at the peak of human fitness too with all that pride and willpower!

• sabatimus - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:15 AM

Congrats to you, but you just insulted everyone who has a more difficult battle than you did.

11. jimmyt - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:57 AM

“NO, we don’t all work at the white house like you do…”

sportsfan18, that is the funniest reply comment I’ve heard in a long time. Well done sir, well done indeed. As for the detractors, humor is a lot like art. If you don’t get it you were not meant to.

12. mazblast - Jun 18, 2014 at 1:33 PM

My grandfather died of lung cancer when I was a toddler. His son, my uncle, died of it when I was in college. It’s understandable why I never took up the habit–that and the fact that I usually had just enough money for girls and booze, so cigs were not an option. IMO tobacco is disgusting.

That said, I’ve thought for years that the anti-smoking crusade has gone from a public health issue to that of people wanting to control other people, trying to make smokers’ lives just as miserable as their own “cause people” lives.

I’d like to see every smoker give up the habit–voluntarily.

As for Reed, I question his intelligence. Your old coach used smokeless tobacco and had cancer–and he waits until his coach DIES to stop?

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (2497)