Blue Jays send strikeout machine Steve Delabar to Triple-A

Jun 17, 2014, 4:10 PM EST

Munenori Kawasaki; Esmil Rogers; Steve Delabar AP

Toronto has called up utility man Munenori Kawasaki from the minors for some infield depth and in a surprising move they demoted right-hander Steve Delabar to Triple-A to make room for him on the roster.

Delabar has struggled somewhat this season, walking 16 batters in 25 innings, but his 4.68 ERA is hardly disastrous and he’s a 30-year-old veteran of four big-league seasons with a career 3.68 ERA and 202 strikeouts in 157 innings. Oh, and he made the All-Star team last year.

Delabar has always had poor control, but he’s also always missed a ton of bats while being plenty effective overall. In fact, among all active pitchers with at least 150 career innings Delabar ranks seventh in strikeout rate with 11.6 per nine innings, behind only Craig Kimbrel, Aroldis Chapman, Kenley Jansen, Greg Holland, Ernesto Frieri, and David Robertson.

1. mackstrong2013 - Jun 17, 2014 at 4:34 PM

Ridiculous. I do love Moony though.

2. nbjays - Jun 17, 2014 at 4:43 PM

Lately, he’s been more of a walk machine than a strikeout machine, which is a very bad thing in the late innings with men on base.

• cur'68 - Jun 17, 2014 at 5:05 PM

Ayup. I like the guy but wish he was across the plate more often. He needs to go get his command tweaked in AAA ball. He’ll be back up in no time, though. On the plus side: ‘Saki San’s back! Woot!

• proudlycanadian - Jun 17, 2014 at 5:07 PM

He has not been very good at protecting leads this year.

3. Detroit Michael - Jun 17, 2014 at 4:58 PM

Gee, maybe picking all-star relievers based on a good first half (roughly 35 IP) instead of placing greater weight on their long-term track record yields silly results!

4. proudlycanadian - Jun 17, 2014 at 4:59 PM

Delabar has earned his demotion. He needs a stint in Triple A to straighten himself out.

Kawasaki gets the start at second base tonight. He will probably run up Tanaka’s pitch count.

5. phluffyclouds - Jun 17, 2014 at 6:34 PM

are you kidding me?! For f’n Kawasaki ?? God I’m so over the Kawasaki bs

6. kaspauf - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:46 AM

“My Name is Munenori Kawasaki, I come from Japan, I am Japaneseeeeeee!!!!”

I still remember that interview after he had the game winning RBI, hard not to pull for this guy!

-signed a Yankee fan-

7. mazblast - Jun 18, 2014 at 1:24 PM

Kawasaki isn’t much of a player, but you have to love his enthusiasm.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5650)