Brewers release attack ad against Yadier Molina

Jun 17, 2014, 7:07 PM EDT

This probably won’t go over too well in St. Louis …

Dirty, dirty politics. In the latest All-Star voting update, Yadier Molina had a sizable lead among National League catchers. Jonathan Lucroy — despite boasting the highest fWAR of any major league catcher through the first two-and-a-half months of the 2014 season – was in third behind the Giants’ Buster Posey.

[MORE: An NL All-Star voting update  |  AL update]

1. renaado - Jun 17, 2014 at 7:13 PM

Creepy…

2. sabatimus - Jun 17, 2014 at 7:16 PM

Ok that’s just silly. And anyway, the fact that people need to lobby for an all-star vote demonstrates the uselessness of the process.

• heybogey - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:24 AM

brilliant comment,…!!!
      and yet the effects the All Star game has on the World Series is amazing,…..

3. SocraticGadfly - Jun 17, 2014 at 7:16 PM

Voice of baby crying in background supplied by Ryan Braun.

• sportsfan18 - Jun 17, 2014 at 10:05 PM

he still hasn’t gotten used to the needles…

4. ddjesus - Jun 17, 2014 at 7:22 PM

This is fantastic. Vote Lucroy!

5. beepbeepbeeplgb - Jun 17, 2014 at 7:22 PM

Lol, as a cards fan I thought it was funny.

• fearlessleader - Jun 17, 2014 at 8:43 PM

Me too, and as a Cards fan I love the fact that the slumping Yadi hit a home run in his first at-bat after it went viral. :)

• uwsptke - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:09 AM

I’d like to commend you two for being the rare breed of Cardinals fan (judging by the comments section) who allow yourselves to have fun at the expense of your own team.

• jtorrey13 - Jun 17, 2014 at 9:00 PM

Yes! Doesn’t matter that I’m a Cards fan, that’s 80 creativity there. If I voted, I’d even vote for Lucroy. But, why support the establishment fascist bully boys.

• jtorrey13 - Jun 18, 2014 at 3:58 PM

Ok, so I don’t get Rik Mayall points. How about points for an opposing ad?

ANNOUNCER: Jonathan Lucroy wants to be the starting catcher for the National League in the All-Star Game. But did you know that he plays for the Milwaukee Brewers? The Milwaukee Brewers who only became an NL team in 1994. The Milwaukee Brewers who were originally the Seattle Pilots.

Can we trust a player from a team that flip-flops like that? How do we know Lucroy isn’t a spy for the American League in a twenty-year-old plot to seek vengeance for the 1982 World Series?

Yadier Molina is a St. Louis Cardinal. The Cardinals have been part of the National League since 1892. How long ago was that? That’s a year before Bartolo Colon was born.

Vote Molina. Vote true National League.

MOLINA: My name is Yadier Molina and I approve this message.

• gostlcards5 - Jun 19, 2014 at 1:25 PM

Totally agree. I thought it was well done, except that they could have placed the crying baby sound at a better point. I thought that one spot made it sound like the Brewers were crying, rather than what they intended.

6. mrlaloosh - Jun 17, 2014 at 7:24 PM

Milwaukee has a MLB team? Who knew…..

• gwhempel - Jun 17, 2014 at 8:45 PM

The fans in the other 4 NL Central cities that are looking up at them in the standings, for starters.

• kevinharned - Jun 17, 2014 at 11:32 PM

You can always tell the ones who haven’t won anything in a long time…they start crowing before the all-star break..

• gwhempel - Jun 18, 2014 at 12:25 AM

…and you can always tell the Cardinals fans because they’re the ones sniffing their own farts with a grin that would make the Mona Lisa jealous.

• unclemosesgreen - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:08 AM

Hey kevinharned – why’d you have to drag all those Royals fans into this?

• SocraticGadfly - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:48 AM

Well, at least Cardinal farts don’t smell like Bud Selig left out in the rain for three days.

7. booboo31 - Jun 17, 2014 at 7:32 PM

I can hear the cry babies from here, including Braun main lining PEDs from here

8. yahmule - Jun 17, 2014 at 7:39 PM

I’m not big on campaigning, but I am big on poking fun @ a guy who’s not really known for his ability to take a joke.

Well played, Ale-makers.

• uwsptke - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:10 AM

Exactly!

9. jesseg53 - Jun 17, 2014 at 7:40 PM

Lucroy had my vote at “plays for St. Louis Cardinals”

10. greej1938l - Jun 17, 2014 at 7:49 PM

LOL!!

11. paperlions - Jun 17, 2014 at 7:50 PM

It’s okay. As long as they were spoofing, they could have made more of an effort to go over the top…..Molina doesn’t like puppies (working in Hank), neck tattoos, allude to the flying Molina catcher dynasty within the context of need for change, call into question Molina’s US citizenship (need to see official birth certificate)….there are a lot of options they don’t seem to have explored…unless those are coming in future ads.

• stlouisramsbaby - Jun 17, 2014 at 9:02 PM

keep it in the context of baseball – this was far enough and managed to get a chuckle out of this Cardinals fan. Very clever. Go Yadi! and Go Cardinals!

12. gbart22 - Jun 17, 2014 at 8:13 PM

That was awesome! As a mets fan this is the best thing I’ve seen all year. I love when teams and players can have fun.

13. montrealknowledge - Jun 17, 2014 at 8:16 PM

Cards fan, so yah I think this is stupid. Can be said to be all in good fun. Clearly the TV station did it, was dumb of Lucroy to “endorse” it at the end. Also does not make sense since Lucroy is 3rd in voting, that’s the biggest problem, Posey will still be ahead of him. Nonsense.

• padraighansen - Jun 17, 2014 at 11:38 PM

S-A-T-I-R-E

14. madnova - Jun 17, 2014 at 8:24 PM

I wish I could find the Carlos Gomez one from last year.

“Don’t you want an ACTUAL center fielder on your All Star team?”

• madnova - Jun 17, 2014 at 8:26 PM

Never mind. Found it. Shouldn’t have been relying on YouTube…

• jm91rs - Jun 17, 2014 at 9:39 PM

Guessing both of those robs were off votto

• paperlions - Jun 17, 2014 at 8:32 PM

That’s not from last year, even has footage of Gomez with the fan from earlier this year.

15. tschiav11 - Jun 17, 2014 at 8:25 PM

This is the best thing since sliced bread. I think every player in the all star hunt should do this from now on. I don’t even vote for all star games but I definitely will now for him.

16. scoutsaysweitersisabust - Jun 17, 2014 at 8:30 PM

I feel sad for anyone who doesn’t see the obviously good natured humor in this commercial. Too many people take too much of life too seriously and anyone who doesn’t get the political spoof of this really needs a week on a beach.

17. royalsblues - Jun 17, 2014 at 8:32 PM

Considering the fact that it is “political attack ad” season all over America, I thought that was pretty clever. I take my hat off to whomever came up with the idea to create that video. I hope it works.

18. thomas844 - Jun 17, 2014 at 8:34 PM

This is very hilarious and clever. I love how much it downplays the significance of starting in an All-Star game. I’m sure neither Lucroy or Molina care about it as much as some of the fans who are like, “OMG, ‘so-and-so’ should be starting in the ASG! This is a travesty!”

19. Kevin Gillman - Jun 17, 2014 at 8:55 PM

I don’t understand why anyone would do a thumbs down on this ad. Lighten up guys, it’s a joke, and it’s funny.

20. ud1951 - Jun 17, 2014 at 9:07 PM

Lucroy has had a better season than Molina (I am a Cards fan) but Alexei Ramirez and half a dozen other AL shortstops have been better than Jeter. If you want Lucroy in the AS game, go to the stadium or the website and vote.

21. aresachaela - Jun 17, 2014 at 9:09 PM

Ok I’m going neutral where no one can understand.

NAKAKATAKOT NYO MAG VIDEO ANG PANGIT HAHAHA XD!!

There.

• renaado - Jun 17, 2014 at 9:23 PM

I see what you did there…

• aresachaela - Jun 17, 2014 at 9:34 PM

(Shush!!)

Keep it quiet Ren! Can’t you see I’m undercover XD?

22. timmons94 - Jun 17, 2014 at 9:50 PM

Lucroy is better than tattoo boy. Plain and simple…

• fearlessleader - Jun 17, 2014 at 10:45 PM

Well, no.

23. maddog11896 - Jun 17, 2014 at 9:56 PM

I’m a Brewers fan and I find this absolutely hilarious! Have a little humor guys, this sounds like an ad you’d hear on the radio playing GTA Vice City

24. enoss1325 - Jun 17, 2014 at 10:33 PM

I have to admit, the brewers had me fooled. I thought this was gonna be a serious video but then I saw the Lucroy “best catcher in baseball” then I knew it was just a joke. Seriously I doubt the brewers actually think he is the best catcher in baseball, I would be willing to bet if given the choice they would take Yadi over Lucroy. It’s just that sometimes the butthurt clouds peoples judgement.

25. stlcardsforlife2014 - Jun 17, 2014 at 10:39 PM

This is the funniest thing I have saw in quite some time. Seriously there is no need to hate on Yadi, Lucroy is good I will give credit where it is due but not in a million years will he ever compare to Yadi! Yadier mind!

Three legends off to Cooperstown