Jun 17, 2014, 9:46 AM EDT
Two Tony Gwynn remembrances worth reading this morning, both by writers with personal connections to Gwynn. One is from Tom Friend, the former Padres beat writer. The other from Tyler Kepner of the New York Times.
Lots of players are said by writers to be nice guys or classy, but Kepner notes an instance when Gwynn literally helped change Kepner’s life by virtue of his friendliness and generosity. Kepner was something of a boy wonder reporter when he was a teenager, publishing his own magazine and getting press passes. Once, when covering a Padres game, this happened:
One time we spoke, I was wearing a Vanderbilt golf shirt. Gwynn noticed the logo and asked if I went there. When I said yes, he lit up. The Padres beat writer Buster Olney, of The San Diego Union-Tribune, also went there, Gwynn said excitedly. “You’ve got to meet him!” he said . . . When our interview ended, he went back to the clubhouse, found Olney and brought him to the dugout to meet me. A few years later Olney was writing for The New York Times, and he recommended me for a job. Gwynn had set me on my career path.
Friend gives us a tear-jerking moment from Gwynn’s final months:
In late April, I surprised him at the hospital. He was in a wheelchair. His hair was fully gray. He couldn’t open his right eye. He could only halfway open his mouth. He was on oxygen. The purest hitter of our generation was dying . . . That day in the hospital, I would have done anything to see a young Tony Gwynn again. And then I looked down at his feet. He was wearing his old baseball shower shoes. On them was his scribbled number: 19. He was 19 to the end.
Just, wow. Both are excellent reads. Do check them out.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 0
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 32
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 9
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 8
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 30
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 33
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)