Jun 17, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT
Padres second baseman Jedd Gyorko is eligible to come off the disabled list Friday, but manager Bud Black just told Dennis Lin of the San Diego Union Tribune that he’s not close to being recovered from plantar fasciitis.
According to Black “the foot isn’t healing very quickly” so he continues to wear a walking boot and there’s no stated timetable for Gyorko’s return to the lineup.
Gyorko’s impressive rookie season last year convinced the Padres to give him a $35 million long-term contract after just 125 games in the majors, but he got off to a horrendous start before being shut down by hitting .162 with 56 strikeouts in 56 games. Alexi Amarista and Jace Peterson have been sharing time at second base in his absence.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 69
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 25
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 16
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (87)