Jun 17, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT
Padres second baseman Jedd Gyorko is eligible to come off the disabled list Friday, but manager Bud Black just told Dennis Lin of the San Diego Union Tribune that he’s not close to being recovered from plantar fasciitis.
According to Black “the foot isn’t healing very quickly” so he continues to wear a walking boot and there’s no stated timetable for Gyorko’s return to the lineup.
Gyorko’s impressive rookie season last year convinced the Padres to give him a $35 million long-term contract after just 125 games in the majors, but he got off to a horrendous start before being shut down by hitting .162 with 56 strikeouts in 56 games. Alexi Amarista and Jace Peterson have been sharing time at second base in his absence.
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 0
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 6
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 52
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)