Nick Massett suspended three games, David Carpenter fined as a result of that Braves-Rockies plunk war
Jun 17, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
You’ll recall last Thursday that things got chippy between the Braves and the Rockies. This after Corey Dickerson accidentally hit Gerald Laird with his backswing, knocking him out of the game. Braves pitcher David Carpenter took offense to that accident for reasons known only to him and hit Dickerson. After that both sides were warned, though plunkings and ejections still continued.
Nick Masset of the Colorado Rockies has received a three-game suspension and an undisclosed fine for intentionally throwing a pitch at Evan Gattis of the Atlanta Braves, with a warning in place, in the top of the ninth inning of the Thursday, June 12th game at Coors Field in Denver . . . In addition, Braves pitcher David Carpenter has received an undisclosed fine for intentionally throwing at Colorado’s Corey Dickerson in the bottom of the eighth inning, which resulted in warnings for both sides.
Small sanctions, especially for pitchers, but the league has to do something in situations like this. I would have liked to see Carpenter suspended, however. Even if his throwing at Dickerson was pre-warning, it was clearly premeditated. And uncalled for, even under the dumb unwritten rules.
- Nelson Cruz, Adrian Gonzalez named Players of the Month 2
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 94
- Report: Brewers hire Craig Counsell to replace Ron Roenicke 26
- Brewers fire manager Ron Roenicke 54
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 11
- Rays place outfielder Desmond Jennings on 15-day disabled list with bursitis in his left knee 1
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring 139
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (363)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (201)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (162)
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (139)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)