Nick Massett suspended three games, David Carpenter fined as a result of that Braves-Rockies plunk war
Jun 17, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
You’ll recall last Thursday that things got chippy between the Braves and the Rockies. This after Corey Dickerson accidentally hit Gerald Laird with his backswing, knocking him out of the game. Braves pitcher David Carpenter took offense to that accident for reasons known only to him and hit Dickerson. After that both sides were warned, though plunkings and ejections still continued.
Nick Masset of the Colorado Rockies has received a three-game suspension and an undisclosed fine for intentionally throwing a pitch at Evan Gattis of the Atlanta Braves, with a warning in place, in the top of the ninth inning of the Thursday, June 12th game at Coors Field in Denver . . . In addition, Braves pitcher David Carpenter has received an undisclosed fine for intentionally throwing at Colorado’s Corey Dickerson in the bottom of the eighth inning, which resulted in warnings for both sides.
Small sanctions, especially for pitchers, but the league has to do something in situations like this. I would have liked to see Carpenter suspended, however. Even if his throwing at Dickerson was pre-warning, it was clearly premeditated. And uncalled for, even under the dumb unwritten rules.
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 21
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 55
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 22
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 139
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 133
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 36
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (139)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (133)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)