Nick Massett suspended three games, David Carpenter fined as a result of that Braves-Rockies plunk war
Jun 17, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
You’ll recall last Thursday that things got chippy between the Braves and the Rockies. This after Corey Dickerson accidentally hit Gerald Laird with his backswing, knocking him out of the game. Braves pitcher David Carpenter took offense to that accident for reasons known only to him and hit Dickerson. After that both sides were warned, though plunkings and ejections still continued.
Nick Masset of the Colorado Rockies has received a three-game suspension and an undisclosed fine for intentionally throwing a pitch at Evan Gattis of the Atlanta Braves, with a warning in place, in the top of the ninth inning of the Thursday, June 12th game at Coors Field in Denver . . . In addition, Braves pitcher David Carpenter has received an undisclosed fine for intentionally throwing at Colorado’s Corey Dickerson in the bottom of the eighth inning, which resulted in warnings for both sides.
Small sanctions, especially for pitchers, but the league has to do something in situations like this. I would have liked to see Carpenter suspended, however. Even if his throwing at Dickerson was pre-warning, it was clearly premeditated. And uncalled for, even under the dumb unwritten rules.
- Christian Vazquez to undergo Tommy John surgery 9
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 4
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 18
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 29
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 47
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)