Nick Massett suspended three games, David Carpenter fined as a result of that Braves-Rockies plunk war
Jun 17, 2014, 2:30 PM EST
You’ll recall last Thursday that things got chippy between the Braves and the Rockies. This after Corey Dickerson accidentally hit Gerald Laird with his backswing, knocking him out of the game. Braves pitcher David Carpenter took offense to that accident for reasons known only to him and hit Dickerson. After that both sides were warned, though plunkings and ejections still continued.
Nick Masset of the Colorado Rockies has received a three-game suspension and an undisclosed fine for intentionally throwing a pitch at Evan Gattis of the Atlanta Braves, with a warning in place, in the top of the ninth inning of the Thursday, June 12th game at Coors Field in Denver . . . In addition, Braves pitcher David Carpenter has received an undisclosed fine for intentionally throwing at Colorado’s Corey Dickerson in the bottom of the eighth inning, which resulted in warnings for both sides.
Small sanctions, especially for pitchers, but the league has to do something in situations like this. I would have liked to see Carpenter suspended, however. Even if his throwing at Dickerson was pre-warning, it was clearly premeditated. And uncalled for, even under the dumb unwritten rules.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 3
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 293
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (295)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)