Jun 17, 2014, 8:23 AM EDT
Most people figured it was a foregone conclusion that the Cubs would trade Jeff Samardzija to a contender this summer, but the Sun Times reports that they haven’t quite yet closed the door on keeping their ace around:
But even as the Cubs continue early trade talks with some teams about Jason Hammel and Jeff Samardzija, they also have quietly reached out to Samardzija with a new offer on a contract that would keep him in Chicago as long as Starlin Castro and Anthony Rizzo, according to multiple sources.
There have been talks in the past but they’ve never gone anywhere. It just seems like the Cubs and Samardzija are a bad match given his age and the team’s place on the success cycle (i.e. not there and likely won’t be for a couple more years). Maybe that calculus has changed for both sides, with the Cubs thinking they’ll be friskier faster than they used to think and Samardzija looking around, realizing that he’s one pitch away from Tommy John surgery, so why not cash in now while the cashing is good.
Or maybe it’s just a way to make other teams think the Cubs value Samardzija more than they do, thus upping the haul they can get for him in a trade.
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 0
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 17
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 13
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 78
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 28
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 31
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (115)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (111)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)