Jun 17, 2014, 8:23 AM EDT
Most people figured it was a foregone conclusion that the Cubs would trade Jeff Samardzija to a contender this summer, but the Sun Times reports that they haven’t quite yet closed the door on keeping their ace around:
But even as the Cubs continue early trade talks with some teams about Jason Hammel and Jeff Samardzija, they also have quietly reached out to Samardzija with a new offer on a contract that would keep him in Chicago as long as Starlin Castro and Anthony Rizzo, according to multiple sources.
There have been talks in the past but they’ve never gone anywhere. It just seems like the Cubs and Samardzija are a bad match given his age and the team’s place on the success cycle (i.e. not there and likely won’t be for a couple more years). Maybe that calculus has changed for both sides, with the Cubs thinking they’ll be friskier faster than they used to think and Samardzija looking around, realizing that he’s one pitch away from Tommy John surgery, so why not cash in now while the cashing is good.
Or maybe it’s just a way to make other teams think the Cubs value Samardzija more than they do, thus upping the haul they can get for him in a trade.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 54
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 5
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 65
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (76)