Jun 18, 2014, 6:24 PM EDT
Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago Sun-Times reported earlier this week that the Cubs were making a late push to lock up ace right-hander Jeff Samardzija. But it doesn’t sound like anything is going to get done between the two parties.
CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman confirmed Wednesday that Samardzija and his agent were presented recently with a fresh extension offer but opines that “the chances of Samardzija signing the new proposal amount to something akin to the outmanned, out-of-it Cubs winning the World Series this year.”
Here’s more from Heyman’s latest column …
The Cubs are said by sources familiar with the talks to have upped their previous bid of about $60 million for five years to a bigger number, also for five years, confirming the original Chicago Sun-Times report. The new offer isn’t known but it’s quite possibly something more in the range of $75-80 million but most definitely not in the vicinity of the $105 million guarantee Homer Bailey has with the Reds.
Samardzija, who’s currently under contract through 2015, is likely to be dealt before this year’s July 31 trade deadline. The 29-year-old owns a 2.78 ERA, 1.21 WHIP, and 90/29 K/BB ratio in 97 innings this season.
The Giants and Royals were among the teams scouting Samardzija on Tuesday night in Miami.
UPDATE, 6:43 p.m. ET: More confirmation here from FOX Sports’ Jon Morosi …
Source confirms Jeff Samardzija rejected a five-year offer from Cubs. Value was slightly more than $85 million, source said.
— Jon Morosi (@jonmorosi) June 18, 2014
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 36
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 30
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (104)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)