Jun 18, 2014, 6:24 PM EDT
Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago Sun-Times reported earlier this week that the Cubs were making a late push to lock up ace right-hander Jeff Samardzija. But it doesn’t sound like anything is going to get done between the two parties.
CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman confirmed Wednesday that Samardzija and his agent were presented recently with a fresh extension offer but opines that “the chances of Samardzija signing the new proposal amount to something akin to the outmanned, out-of-it Cubs winning the World Series this year.”
Here’s more from Heyman’s latest column …
The Cubs are said by sources familiar with the talks to have upped their previous bid of about $60 million for five years to a bigger number, also for five years, confirming the original Chicago Sun-Times report. The new offer isn’t known but it’s quite possibly something more in the range of $75-80 million but most definitely not in the vicinity of the $105 million guarantee Homer Bailey has with the Reds.
Samardzija, who’s currently under contract through 2015, is likely to be dealt before this year’s July 31 trade deadline. The 29-year-old owns a 2.78 ERA, 1.21 WHIP, and 90/29 K/BB ratio in 97 innings this season.
The Giants and Royals were among the teams scouting Samardzija on Tuesday night in Miami.
UPDATE, 6:43 p.m. ET: More confirmation here from FOX Sports’ Jon Morosi …
Source confirms Jeff Samardzija rejected a five-year offer from Cubs. Value was slightly more than $85 million, source said.
— Jon Morosi (@jonmorosi) June 18, 2014
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 8
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 21
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 16
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 23
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 11
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 79
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)