Jun 18, 2014, 6:24 PM EST
Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago Sun-Times reported earlier this week that the Cubs were making a late push to lock up ace right-hander Jeff Samardzija. But it doesn’t sound like anything is going to get done between the two parties.
CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman confirmed Wednesday that Samardzija and his agent were presented recently with a fresh extension offer but opines that “the chances of Samardzija signing the new proposal amount to something akin to the outmanned, out-of-it Cubs winning the World Series this year.”
Here’s more from Heyman’s latest column …
The Cubs are said by sources familiar with the talks to have upped their previous bid of about $60 million for five years to a bigger number, also for five years, confirming the original Chicago Sun-Times report. The new offer isn’t known but it’s quite possibly something more in the range of $75-80 million but most definitely not in the vicinity of the $105 million guarantee Homer Bailey has with the Reds.
Samardzija, who’s currently under contract through 2015, is likely to be dealt before this year’s July 31 trade deadline. The 29-year-old owns a 2.78 ERA, 1.21 WHIP, and 90/29 K/BB ratio in 97 innings this season.
The Giants and Royals were among the teams scouting Samardzija on Tuesday night in Miami.
UPDATE, 6:43 p.m. ET: More confirmation here from FOX Sports’ Jon Morosi …
Source confirms Jeff Samardzija rejected a five-year offer from Cubs. Value was slightly more than $85 million, source said.
— Jon Morosi (@jonmorosi) June 18, 2014
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 65
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (227)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (86)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)