Jun 18, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
One of the more amusing things to happen this season is to have Bartolo Colon back in the National League, where he gets a shot to bat on the regs. It’s a beautiful thing. He obviously has no clue what he’s doing at the plate but likewise does not seem to mind too much. It’s mostly some flailing, a lot of smiling and, fairly often, his helmet falling off as he swings.
But a few moments ago something amazing happened: Bartolo Colon got a hit. And not just any hit, a double. A standup double in which he trotted into second as if he gets there every day. And then the very next batter — Eric Young — doubled and Colon came around to score. And he lived to tell the tale and everything.
The last time Colon got a hit was in an interleague game for the Angels back in 2005. That was the year he won the Cy Young Award, so a lot of good things were happening for him back then. It had been fewer than 30 plate appearances between then and today, but still. A near-decade is a near-decade. Also: he’s been around for way longer than a decade and this was his first extra base hit in 122 at bats.
We’ll post video when it’s available.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 43
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 43
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 57
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 141
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (143)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)